spilt juice on a laptop.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keithmoon, Nov 8, 2009.

1. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

A customer has called me up regarding there laptop.
    they have spilt some sort of drink on it during a party :blink one reason why you shouldnt have alcohol and electrical equipment in the same room during a piss up.

She has told me that the machine powers up and that it gives her the option of either pressing f1 for setup or f2 for default settings neither buttoms respond when pressed.

chances are the mobo has had it but i was wondering what you guys would suggest i do in order to get the data off of the hdd? i was thinking hook it upto my desktop machine and simply browse into it?

many thanks in advance :)

2. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Keyboard is the problem of the fault you've just described, but yeah chances are there is a form of liquid on the mobo.. a little bit of work on it and it should be reet. Obviously you'll have to take the laptop apart, so make sure you know how to put it back together :p

To get the data off the HD, it'll either be SATA or IDE, - Sata you should be able to use normal desktop data/power cables to it, IDE you'll have to get a 2.5" ide -> 3.5 ide & molex converter.. not sure how much they are but if they're more expensive than a 2.5" ide caddy, then get one of those!

Charge for the caddy + time and keep the caddy for any future cases.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  3. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

cheers for the quick reply buddy :)

should i be able just browse the files? or will i have problems with xp keeping me out the files?

4. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Yeah just hook it up to a different machine as a slave. If you get a caddy, it's usually presented to USB, so should be fairly simple for you to grip.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You will be able to browse them as normal as long as they aren't using EFS or some other encryption.

Spilling any liquid onto the system board, and then powering it up, could easily cause irreprable damage.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

great guys many thanks as always :)

7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster