Speed limit for shared internet access?

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by slyuen, Jun 1, 2006.

1. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

When it comes to sharing the internet with other flatmates, is there a way to effectively assign a speed limit, even if one of them downloads a lot of stuffs......... other people would not be affected?

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i know that NetMeter limits your speed to whatever you want, plus it has loads of other functions, but im not sure how this would work in your situation... im sure someone will give a more fuller resolution...

3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

This has come before on another forum that I frequent, and AFAIK there is no easy way to do it. Probably not without enterprise oriented kit ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

what operating system are you using?

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd say it was almost impossible, for social reasons rather than technical ones.

Sure - you could get a managed switch that does rate-limiting, but unless you have a secure locked area for the Internet kit such as routers/switches and modem then the worst perpetrators will simply move the cables about.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

WinXPPro and Home

Thanks for all your replies

7. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

You could try Netlimiter

I used to use this and basically splited the download rate/upload rate between however many users. Only useful with a good 2Mb+ connection because sharing anything less is going to be slow!

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  8. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

slyuen,

What kind of networking device do you have connected to your internet connection?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I really doubt that you are going to get 'anything' that will do this well other than getting a second internet line of some type put in.

We had a fairly sophisticated setup at a place I used to work at. We had a gaming suite upstairs with 20 pcs, and a learndirect / internet cafe downstairs with 20 pc's. A 2MB leased line was supplying the connection for all PC's and throttling etc.. had been setup on a linux box.

Tbh it although it could limit the amount of bandwidth given to a particular group the one thing it couldn't do was 'protect' the latency of the gaming connection if they were doing lots of downloading in the other room. So we could reserve half the connection each, but unless it wasn't being used pretty much by anyone else the gamers always got very spikey performance, which ain't good if your relaying on fast reactions to stay alive / win a team game etc....

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

The networking device I use for Internet is Belkin 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Turbo Router (the one with 2 antennes sticking out)

I'm not sure if netlimiter is good for this scenario as the connection speed is coming out of the wireless router.....

Well, unless there is something "between the air", I think it is impossible to set a limit in my scenario.

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Let us know how you get on with this, i would be interested..... :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

slyuen,

So both the heavy users and the light users are wirelessly connected to the Belkin?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA