Special Permissions

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Nelix, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Hey Guys, Here's one for you

I'm not too sure that I am going to be able to accomplish this but heres what i'm after.

I have a folder that is shared on our NAS, Lets says its called COMMON (name changed to protect the inocent) within this folder anyone can save and create pretty much anything they want, however I want to stop people saveing/creating FILES in the root of the folder, I want to get them to create a folder and save there stuff in there. however if I use special permissions to prevent file creation in the COMMON folder, when users create a folder this permission prevents them from creating FILES in this newly created folder. How can I get round this.

There is probably an easy answer, I'm probably just thinking too hard about it.

Cheers

Nelix

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Propagation? (sp?)

Prevent it from feeding downwards?:blink

3. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

I think that can only be done when the folders created.

If the users are going to create the folders they will inherit permission from the folder above.

Best bet may be to create a folder for each user and change the permissions. (that's not what your after though)

I'm going to have a play.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's why most companies have a USERS or COMMON folder, with subfolders created for each user. The users can do whatever they want with their folder spaces, but they can't modify the root folder.

Inheritance is enabled by default, so removing access to file creation would propagate to subfolders. You can disable inheritance, but only after the folder is created. Unless there's an obvious way I'm overlooking...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Cracked it

in the special permissions dialogue box there is a drop down menu (2003 Server) in there is an option "apply to this folder only" select this and it works a treat.

Such a simple little thing to change and it makes all the difference, to be honest I only really noticed the drop down by accident

thanks for your help anyway guys

Nelix

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346