Spec for Domain Controllers

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Boycie, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I am in the process of setting up a test network for MCSE and work purposes.
    I plan to have 2 clients, a file server and one domain controller.
    I have the two client PC's sorted (600Mhz, 128MB) but would like *real life* opinions for the 2003 Server machines. These machines won't be doing any real work as such but need to work OK too!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

we use desktop machines (hp d530 2.8Ghz 1Gb) that are easy to clone or repair, as the domain controllers (+ dns + dhcp + global catalog) on our satelite offices (1 machine per 100 users per site). domain controllers don't have to be high end machines, if you deploy your active directory wisely.
    we have more advanced hardware for our domain controllers at the data center.

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

what i had for 270 and 290 is:

1 domain controller running DNS too
    1 DHCP Server
    1 client
    im sure for those 2 exams you could well do with 1 server running DNS static IPs and domain controller and only 1 client.

Now when it comes to 291 im going to rebuild the whole domain.. 1 domain controller, 1 DNS Server, 1 DHCP Server then when i hit the relevant chapters backups for them oh and my one client.

BTW im running Vmware! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

My main PC is a laptop. I think Virtual PC/VMWare is great but i don't think 2003 likes start/stopping all the time.

5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

cuz they are servers...

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

my point exactly :)

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Boyce,

To be honest I think that as long as you can reach the minimum RAM required for install (256) you can run it on pretty much anything without any problems, especially if it will only be used for lab purposes. You could even reduce the RAM down after install and it will continue to run without any problems. 8)

8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Boyce, if you set up a team in VMWare (maybe one server and a couple of clients) and set them up as a domain, you can then put the whole team to sleep simultaneously without any detrimental effects.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I run SBS 2003 at home on a P3 1000 with 512MB RAM and have no issues with performance at all. I wouldn't recommend going for less spec than that though.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I ran SBS on 256MB with 3 clients.. little slow but not noticeable for learning! When you have a team in vmware dont all the machines start up at once thus chew up more RAM? just start the servers you need...

OR you can try something else.. using a crossover link 2 pc's - install vmware on both then using bridging you can link virtual machines on both real boxes!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

thanks for the input guys. I will get 2 machines similar spec to what Pete suggested. :)