Sounds like an ebay scam ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by morph, May 1, 2010.

1. morph

morph Byte Poster

Or is it me being over paranoid - i sold a laptop that was worth 1600 when bought and thought i'd be cheeky and put a by it now on there of 1400 - i know - but i just thought i'd see what happened, within an hour it gets bought by someone whose set up their ebay account today. No history - they then send me an email saying my paypal isnt working, can i send them a request for money ?
    So i've not responded and reported them to ebay - it might be me being overly paranoid but the fact their new, no history and there over paying for somthing ...humm

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Perhaps you should have said no Ebayers with less than 10 feedback or similar ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Tell them to try again because if there is a problem with Paypal then it has to be an issue with Ebay and Paypal and because they are the same company they will fix it soon, as long as you don't do the transaction outside of ebay you're protected, once you take it outside of Ebay then they can say they paid you and all of a sudden you're the one in breach.

The worst that can happen is that they don't send you the money and therefore they are in breach of contract.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. morph

morph Byte Poster

yeah fairpoint - might have been sensible to say only peeps with history...

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

if it sounds too good it usually is - especially where ebay is concerned!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Yes and no, people always had to start with no history but I do agree that people with no history do pose an extra risk.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I won't buy from them or sell to them :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

ebay is far from what it once was and certainly no longer somewhere I use if i can help it. there is too much litter for my liking.

I once sold an item whereby the buyer (who had perfectly good feedback and a member for some time) wanted it delivered to another location. I said no chance and then he said he would contact ebay/paypal to get re-verified - fair play.
    I contacted paypal who advised to wait 3 months before sending the item incase the account had been hijacked, or the payment was being made with a stolen credit card. So, if this buyer was geniune (never completed) he is supposed to wait 3 months when using ebay's own bank?!

Another time, i started the live chat and asked how straightforward and long it would take them to add a category. it was almost an hour of my time wasted. they simply did not understand what i was asking and then locked my account out to get rid of me!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT