Sound card busted!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noelg24, Aug 2, 2007.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

So back in March I bought the X-Fi Extreme Music sound card. Its been a damn good piece of kit up until last nite. I was watching old episodes of Smallville when it suddenly started crackling and popping...I thought nothing of it at first and carried on watching me episodes.

Then I went to play the Matrix Online and again there were faint cracks and pops. I thought to myself, time to change the speakers cos i have had them for 3 and a half years so perhaps they need changing.

I then went to watch more Smallville, when about 15min into the episode I was watching my sound went crack, pop and into a high pitch noise. Turned off the PC, took out the card and gave it a clean (was a bit dusty). Put in back in and started up the PC...then I got no sound at all, reinstalling the drivers didnt help as it kept telling me it couldnt find the drivers for the card. Even the updated drivers I had downloaded made no difference cos they were saying the hardware could not be found. Which was odd cos device manager could see it.

So I put the card in another PCI slot and still got the same problem. I cant return the card back to Ebuyer (surprise surprise lol) cos I have moved house and the only way I can change my address is if I wanted to buy something (shocking eh!!). So I think I will be going back to my old card for now until I get another one sorted.

Just out interest, I did do a google search about this card and it seems others have been having the same issue in that when u install the drivers or the software it makes out the card is not in the machine...anyone else here had the same problem?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Have you tried the card in another machine? It might also be worth uninstalling the sound card stuff in safe mode and then running a registry checker etc to remove all redundant entries, and then reboot and try installing the card again.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I could give that a try Raffaz, but its not the first time the card has done this...and even on the Creative forums, users have said the same thing about the card not being found by the drivers or the software...so its a common problem...im popping home for lunch to try other stuff...

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You've already installed updated drivers, right?

This problem seems to be common with SLI rigs, and less so with Crossfire rigs. You probably already know that though...

A few posts from here that might help:

So... perhaps your sound card is sharing IRQs with your USB (or another device) based on the PCI port it's plugged into... can you put it in a different slot?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Why is it you dont think you can send it back again?
    give them a call and get them to update your account

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well, my mobo is an ASUS A8R-MVP crossfire and I tried it another PCI slot and still had the same issue. I have asked someone at work to test it for me, so will see if it works...in the meantime I have gone back to my old sound card...but I will have a look at the IRQs and see which ones are sharing the same one. Odd tho cos all the USB stuff I have used I havent had any problems like this until now...but thank you all...:biggrin

7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Here's lil ol' me with a 'silly' suggestion again, but I'm bored and brimming with nonsense.

The cracking and popping sure make it sound like a hardware fault, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't detect the card *at all* on reinstall. Are you sure you put the card in, then install the drivers? A lot of PCI devices I've come across recently need it vice-versa - the most recent one I had was a Belkin wireless card that wouldn't detect unless I installed the drivers first.

Just a suggestion :oops:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

dont worry darling, I have done that too...no joy...but I did find that IRQ 18 is being shared by both the sound card and the ULi PCI to USB Open Host Controller (this is in Vista, havent checked in MCE 2005 yet).

Now am I right in saying that there is no way I can change the IRQ? (Remember the good ole days of Windows 95? lol). But if there is I would like to know...hehe...:biggrin

9. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I used to have that card with similar issues, including sound not coming out of one of the channels. I returned it, waited a while and bought the Fata1ity Xtreme Pro card instead. No problems.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well im thinking of getting the Gamer version...which is odd cos i was planning on getting that for my new PC...in fact I will still get it for the new PC cos my old card is doing fine for now...