Sophos Customer Open Day

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Kitkatninja, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Sophos Customer Open Day (9th June 2009 at the Sophos HQ, Abingdon, Oxfordshire)

Join us at our Customer Open Day.

This exclusive free event will give you an insight into Sophos's vision for the future, our product roadmaps and SophosLabs™, together with the opportunity to discuss your specific concerns and requirements with one of our security experts.

During the day you will have the opportunity to:

1. Learn about the latest IT security threats facing businesses
    2. Gain an insight into the latest Sophos plans and developments for endpoint, email and web including demonstrations of new features and functionality
    3. Discover how Network Access Control (NAC) can ensure compliance with your network's security policies
    4. Learn how the Sophos / Utimaco partnership can deliver industry-leading encryption solutions
    5. Understand how to make the most of Sophos Professional Services and give us your thoughts and feedback on Sophos Technical Support
    6. Discover how we deliver the best protection against known and emerging threats through SophosLabs™
    7. See live demonstrations of our full product range including NAC and Utimaco encryption
    8. Meet with Sophos experts to discuss your specific IT security needs

You can register for the event here.

Thought that this would be useful/helpful to some :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

not being harsh or anything but sophos doesnt seem pc friendly :biggrin
    we just deployed sophos antivirus in our dept and has causing nothing but problems :cry:
    it works ok on newish pcs with enough ram but I have seen new pcs getting re imaged because of sophos. even when it finishes running random background scans, it eats process like a whale eats plankton. lol.

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  3. Kitkatninja

From the AV side of Sophos, we had to ditch it as it slowed down the machines so much. However on the Web Security side of things, the box is actualy quite good :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Phew, I thought it was just us who had the issue :biggrin
    unfortunately, since the apps guys deployed it and not us, they dont want to get rid of it.... lazy bums :dry

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

We use Sophos at work at the moment on our servers and from time to time slowed down user data access etc. I would love to know what AV you use on your servers or would recommend etc.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. Kitkatninja

I use Panda AV at work, it's cheaper than Sophos and apart from a couple of seconds on logging in (if you've just turned on the PC/Laptop) it doesn't affect the speed of the machine.

-Ken

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the feedback Ken, however which AV do you use on your servers?.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  8. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

ESET is more PC friendly 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Kitkatninja

Panda again... At work we use the Enterprise edition. It covers workstations & servers (eg exchange, ISA, fileservers, etc...) The Enterprise console knows what the client is and installs the appropriate version, it may be the same AV client, but it groups machines in it's revelant grouping (eg client, fileserver, exchange, etc).

-Ken

10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

McAfee - workstation and server. EPO is the best AV management tool there is bar none. Client-wise VirusScan is up there for me with Kaspersky, but management with EPO is soooo much better.

For the gateway, Trend - simply because its what my manager is familiar with (personally I hate it). Had a Finjan box at my last place, running SurfControl web av - that rules.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the replies, seems like it's Panda vs McAfee. To be honest I'd convince my colleague at work to look into getting McAfee for our servers and probably stick to this on the desktops as well.

But ultimately, it's down to the infrastructure IT manager.

12. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I was a SOPHOS partner and reseller for many years. Eventually ditched them as started to find the overhead for running it was increasing and they seemd to be targetting (via pricing) enterprise type setups rather than small businesses and SME's. Switched my customers to ESET and had very few problems.

Have to say tho', SOPHOS training is good so always worthwile goig along to these things if you can just for the knowledge you can pick up.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  13. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Sophos has caused me a massive pain in the neck to support due to in being not very compatible with PGP disk encryption. If you encrypt a disk THEN add sophos its fine.

You can forget about encrypting a disk with sophos already installed, all sorts of problems when a user logs on. :cussing

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA