Sony Vaio PCG-8Q5L problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by delorean, Jun 6, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Hey gang,

Seems I have exhausted all my resources, just wondering if anyone knows how to dismantle a Sony Vaio PCG-8Q5L laptop in order to remove the hard drive (so I can put it in to an external drive).

The lack of info via Googling on this model is astounding!

Many thanks! :)

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

The hard drive is usually a part the end user can remove. If its not under one of the covers on the bottom I would whip the keyboard out and have a look under there. Service guides for laptops are always hard to find...

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Aye, tried looking for a service guide but no joy on this particular model.

The HDD is under the keyboard, i've taken all the screws out but the thing still won't budge. I don't mind forcing the thing (if it was mine). But as it belongs to a client I don't want to risk damaging the casing or anything inside.

Just wondered if there was a knack to getting the covers off of these infernal machines?

4. NightWalker

The HDD is usually in a thin walled metal cage. These usually have a retaining screw somewhere, you may need to start undoing things, it may even be one from the bottom of the case. All the ones I have removed slide away from the connector end and then lift out. There should be some space at one end for you to slide the drive free of the IDE/SATA connectors.

5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

have you tried looking at this http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/login/login.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons it allows you to enter a serial number instead. Im quite sure once you have the right manual it will tell you how to change the hard drive.

normally the hard drive is really easy to take out (its one of the only things you can upgrade on a laptop) but it wouldnt surprise me if sony made it blimin awkward on purpose.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the info! I tried all the Sony sites and exhaustive Googling but nothing could bring up dismantling tips for this particular model.

I had a feeling it would be tricky from the get go. Why do Sony do this? It just makes their products even more inferior than they already are.

7. NightWalker

They want you to send it to them for repair, it will only cost you..... one million dollars.....

8. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

[​IMG]