Problem Sony VAIO OEM Drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wireless_Snake, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

Hi all

Cheers for your support before hand. I was given my friends laptop to look at it seems to be stuck in resolution 640 x 480 and stuck on only 4-bit colours. I have done a virus check and came up with nothing. When I try to change the settings they don't move after clicking apply.

I seem to be struggling finding the most up-to graphic drivers for the laptop is there anyone who could point me in the right direction.

The laptop is a Sony VAIO model number VGN-NR32S and is currently running Windows Vista 32-bit Home
    Edition.

This problem is something I have never seen before any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Have you just tried uninstalling the display adapter from the device manager and rebooting, let it find it again and see if it corrects the issue. Other than that the only place to go for the drivers for the laptops would be the vendors website I suspect.

I've seen a couple of vaio's that have some sort of number on the screen shield and a different number similar in style underneith. So if your struggling to find any drivers for the model quoted you might be tapping in the wrong model number.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Wireless_Snake

Cheers for the reply Dales. Unfortunatly I have tried this with no such luck. I found the drivers but did not solve the problem. Below I have included a link to a photo I took of the screen. Has anyone had a similar problem?

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

4. Wireless_Snake

Just looking at the Device properties and I have an error message

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)"

When Looking into this it seems that the driver stopped the graphics card working as it detected a problem.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Try a monitor on the laptop mate. If it works it looks like there is an issue with the screen of the laptop or the cable.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Wireless_Snake

Doesnt even detect the external monitor... :(

7. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

think I have seen similar on some dell, it was a known issue with overheating gpu leading to total fail. Is the screen ok while windows loading? laptop should see external monitor when booting, if it doesn't it is not the driver issue.

8. Wireless_Snake

Screen is the same all the way through lines down it. Starting to think maybe graphics card starting to fail as the screen is the same even through the POST. Very strange never had this happen to me before.

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Even when you press FN+F8? Sounds like the mobo may be playing up.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Are the drivers compatible as I have a Toshiba M300 and running windows 7 on it it will only use the microsoft video driver as there isnt an compatible version from Intel so this means the external monitor no longer works and the graphics are slightly lower screen res although not as low as yours are

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  11. Wireless_Snake

I gave the laptop back and put the problem down to faulty mobo or graphics chip.
    Thanks for everyones help :D