Something for the pc gamer in you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ManicMonkey, Oct 3, 2007.

1. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Saw this in custom pc this month, thought it was a novel idea.
    Would be interesting to test it, especially if it does allow bit torrent downloads with no impact on internet access :)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  2. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

looks interesting scan.co.uk are doing it for £176.25 inc Vat not sure if its worth that price tag but saying that I remember the X-Fi had a high price tag when it first came out...333Mhz version is only £128.98

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

now that sounds like a damn good card..so if one plugs this into the machine...one then simply plugs ones network cable in and thats it? hmmm get me a price and I shall take one...:biggrin

EDIT: ah so thats the price lol...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Sounds good to me! I would have gone for one of these back in the RTCW / SOF2 / CS days. Hardly get any time to play anymore :(

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Old news, circa October 2006. All hype, no real benefit: link

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

This things been getting press for like a year now
    its total rubbish if you think you can have BT downloads and not effect game performance

unless your router can do hardcore QoS your still going toget issues, whilst the TCP connections to your system WILL effect your performance (as they are getting CPU time) which this card can theoretically resolve, the same number of sessions also crosses your router, and if you have a 100 quid pos from dixons then forget it

proper QoS (which this plays a part in) is required for any of the benefits this device touts to be seen, and proper QoS requires plenty of network devices in the chain to all be set up for it to work

I'll use the poor analogy of a motorway

3 lanes, with traffic prioritization, if your going here be in this lane, there in that lane, etc

now you get to a junction and the lanes cut down to one for whatever reason
    doesn't matter how cool your motorway was before, how structured and prioritised it was, you now have a bottleneck where everything merges into one and has no prioritisation

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Wow now thats what I call a killer of a PC gaming card!!:p:biggrin

Cool heat sink!8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  8. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

looks awesome but has little gains, from what i read a while back it gives you 1 or 2 frame increase at best. its as they say all show and no go.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Nice card, but too expensive for a NIC.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA