Some help with MCDST....

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by nic81, Dec 26, 2007.

1. nic81

nic81 Bit Poster

Hey...

After much time trying to decide what to do about a new job, i decided to move into IT. And the MCDST course was the one i settled on :) however i am having to teach myself the basics which is taking a lifetime!!!

Can anyone tell me about any books that'll help me with that? So far so good tho, i'm moving along nicely :)

Certifications: None for IT, workng on it
    WIP: MCDST
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Glad to hear that you choosed the self study route as you'd not only save yourself money but would learn at your own pace. With reference to a study book the MS Press books are the best for this cert MCDST and also the Sybex ones too. The MS Press book should be good enough for this exam.

Seeing that you don't have any IT work experience after your MCDST the A+ would be a next good cert to go for as it covers both hardware and software. Best wishes on whichever you decide:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What he said ^

The A+ will teach you the basics, possibly you should have done that first.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I also recommend the A+ first before the MCDST. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello all good advise given the A+ is the best for the base undestanding you'll need in IT. Can't really add to whats already been said.

Good luck with your studies and feel free to ask if you cannot find the info/answers whilst studying..

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  7. karl_lankford

karl_lankford Byte Poster

i'll concurr with these guys - run the a+ or network+ before getting too far into the MS exams - i've ended up studying double to cover topics that MS talk about but do not target.

Certifications: CISSP, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: MCSE Upgrade
  8. padlepop

padlepop New Member

Dear BosonMichael,

Sorry before if my questions sounds silly. Could you describe what is mean the A+ ?Is it part of certification should we took before take an MCDST ?

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

No he means compTIA A+ certification. If you have no IT experience and don't know the basics you should be doing the A+ first before the MCDST.

THe A+ certfication consists of two exams one is mandatory which is called Essentials 220-601 and then you choose either 220-602, 220-603 or 220-604 most people do 22-602 the other two are only normally done if your job directly needs them or you are asked to by an employer.

220-602 is directed towards someone being an IT technician.

The books best to get are compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers and PC Technician street smarts by Jame Pyles (tripwire 45 on this forum). These books will teach you the basics.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. padlepop

padlepop New Member

thanks for explain me up bro

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... what GBL said. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G'day and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)