Some general A+ help/assistance

Discussion in 'A+' started by hibs1875, Nov 2, 2007.

1. hibs1875

hibs1875 New Member

Hi guys, 1st post here so please be gentle. ;)

Basically, i'm an 18 year old male living in Edinburgh, Scotland, fed up of my boring deadend job that I am in at the moment. Being in IT was always the career I wanted to do but somehow never actually get round to it. :p
    I started flicking through my local college website and found this course which starts in December.

Basically what I wanted to know is will a A+ certificate get you employment? If not what else would I need to do or pass? Would I be better taking this other course for example?

Any information will be much appriciated.

Many thanks,

Scott.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

First of all, nothing will guarantee you a job. With that aside attaining the A+ (plus any other professional certs, eg Network+ & MCDST) & HND (or any other academic qualification) will increase your chances.

I know people who have entered the IT profession with nothing and I know people who did not get their first chance in IT until they finished their degree.

My advice go for the entry level professional qualifications and go for the academic qualifications, but at the same time continue to apply for IT jobs. To prove my point, it took me a good few years to get into IT and that was after I got my NVQ and my HNC.

-Ken

btw, welcome to CF :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello mate,

"IT was always the career I wanted to do but somehow never actually get round to it" :lol:lol at the age of 18yrs I wouldn't worry you've got years ahead of you.

First off no qualification will guarantee you a job, but the knowledge you gain will help you. The A+ is a great entry level Cert which will provide you alot of the background knowledge you'll need with your first steps in the IT industry.

The Mike Meyers all in one book is regarded by many as a superb resource for your study, might be worth a look. The college course looks good, it really all depends on which study method suits you best. I myself went the self study route which is cheaper and meant I could learn at my own pace.

Good luck with your studies

Dont forget to say hello in the new members section..
    :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What he said!!

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What they said

Welcome to CF

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Welcome aboard mate.

If you click the link on my sig theres useful information for you.

Certifications: A+, N+
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Glad to see you're thinking ahead. At 18, most of the jobs a person takes aren't going to relate too much, if at all, to their ultimate careers. My 19 year old daughter whilst going to uni works part-time at the school library. When she comes home for breaks and the summer, she works at a local crafts store. She's a graphic design major so what she's doing to earn money doesn't apply a lot to what she is studying (she'd *kill* for a summer internship at Pixar, but she doesn't have the required computer and programming background).

As far as breaking into IT, there's not much I can add to what the others have said. This is a good time in your life to pursue an entry-level IT position. So many people (me included) decide on a technical career later in life and it feels like stepping backwards in terms of pay/responsibilities/and so on, when you take that first IT job in desktop support or on a help desk.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Just as a heads up there is some misleading info on Edinburgh's Telford college link, specifically this..

CompTIA covers A+ Net+ Server + and Linux + etc they are indeed vender neutral.

The others certs mentioned, ie MCSA (Microsoft certified Systems Administrator) is a Microsoft cert that you can use your CompTIA certs to help attain.

The CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) is a Cisco (vendor of network hardware such as routers, switches etc) certification, and nothing to do with CompTIA.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. hibs1875

hibs1875 New Member

Hi guys, thanks for the welcomes. (finally a bit time to get myself to a computer)

I applied for the A+ course and the HND in Computing Technical Support. I recieved a letter back from the college saying they are hoping to run the A+ course in the new year and I also have a small interview in a fortnight for the HND.

I could go down the self-study route by I am 99.9% sure that I will be exempt from college fee's due to my personal circumstances for the A+ course and I will recieve all funding etc for the HND, which starts in August. There is a fast track course for the HND in Computing Technical Support which starts in Janurary although I did tell the person on the phone I have a fair knowledge of computers just that I have nothing to back that up, he seemed very reluctant to enroll me for that one, but we'll see.

Has anyone taken the the HND in Computing Technical Support or something similar and knows what it involves?

Thanks again guys ;)