Some Advice Please

Discussion in 'A+' started by Andrew_P, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Andrew_P

Andrew_P Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

I am looking to start my A+ at some stage as I am currently doing a Level 2 NVQ Apprenticeship with a school in my local area and after that I want to go on to start the A+, I will hopefully have finished my NVQ around september and I want to go onto the A+.

I am thinking of doing a mix of books and the CBT's and I am just wondering what books you guys would reccomend I know a lot of you like Mike Meyers and I am thinking of waiting for this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8-4/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl/203-5954183-1344743

Any advice would be appreciated

Andrew

Certifications: None at present
    WIP: A+
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

if you going to wait for that book you will have to use the new objectives as just looking at the contents some stuff is being added.. i see no reason why you cant get the previous version (5th edition i think) and study now with the current objectives! You will never have to update or upgrade your A+ exam ever one you have it so i say go for it!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I totally agree with Zimbo.

September is a long way off, and the chances are you might be ready to take and pass the exams long before the book comes out.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  4. Andrew_P

Andrew_P Bit Poster

How long do you think it would take to pass the A+ course by just home study?.

I was hoping maybe a few months and I would have passed both the exams by then.

How long did it take you?

5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

It really all depends on your previous experience with things like building pc's and installing and using a range of operating systems.

I think it took me about 6 weeks of study to pass the 2 exams, but I have been interested in building and upgrading computers for about 8 years, as well as working in system admin for about 5 years.

So it really does all depend on how much experience you have and how quickly you can take it in.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Working in a school should be a great place to get the practical part of the A+ as you will get loads of hands on.

Good luck from a slightly tipsy Simon! :biggrin

7. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

I've been studying at home since the end of January and have booked exams for the beginning and end of May.I have had some hands on experience,not a great deal but enough to give myself the confidence to explore,investigate and evaluate PC problems in hardware and basic software/OS.

You take the exams when you feel ready to do so,that's one of the beauties of self teach,you're ready when YOU say you're ready,kapiche?

Good luck with your A+ and keep us posted with your progress.. 8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  8. Andrew_P

Andrew_P Bit Poster

I have decided to go with this book for starting my A+:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...2933/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_27_1/203-5954183-1344743

I am now thinking about what other course material I can use, I have a hands on option where I work which will be useful as I am always changing hard drives, network cards, etc a lot.

I was looking at the CBT Nuggets videos for A+ but I cant find anywhere else what is selling them apart from their site and the price is quite dear I think. There are A+ CBT guides on ebay but I dont think any of them are CBT Nuggets which get a good review from people who have used them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Andrew

9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You won't find many who critizise that choice of book! I found it excelent!

IMHO if you have a hands-on facility at work then that is going to be worth much more than some videos, as you can get others there to actualy show you where stuff goes, and what it looks like.
    However - I havn't actualy seen the videos you mention, so can't say how good they are,

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

The CBT Videos are worth watching if you don't really want to read the book a 2nd time round, i prefer people talking to me rather then reading my self. Yea it doesn't have as much stuff as the book, but read the book through then watch the videos and it'll recap you etc.

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  11. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Yup,the CBT Nuggets vid's are great as an additional resource but I wouldn't advise using them untill you're finished with your reading studies.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  12. Andrew_P

Andrew_P Bit Poster

I have decided my training routines will be study books (Mike Meyers for A+ and Network +), CBT Nuggets and for the MS Certifications I will be trying VM Ware to do my installations of XP and Server etc to try out different things.

www.vmware.com

You can download a 30 day trial and then its £80 for the license which seems good value and apparantly a lot better than Microsofts Virtual PC.

Andrew