some advice on my plan.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by sonofleek, Jan 19, 2007.

1. sonofleek

sonofleek New Member

hi.
    i want to get into IT and have come up with my master plan, and just wanted some response to if it is masterfull.
    I think i want to do A+ , then network + , then MCSA leading onto MCSE. Is this correct or realistic. If so what are the best textbooks to start on as i want to do self study.
    Also i have a little knowledge of computers already, so can i go stratight into A+ or should i do IC3 first.
    Any advice would help as im finding this quite a mine field.

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

This is a very popular question.

I would say that the A+ is good starting point, don't know anything about the IC3, sorry.

Good luck with the job hunting.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

I think that sounds like a pretty good plan.

Worth going for the MCDST as a the first MS exams to break you in!

Good luck

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Go for the A+ then Net+ and see how you go, the MCSE is a biggie, it's targeted at people with a year or more experience, looking after Microsoft server products. The MCSA might be a more realistic goal. From there you can still progress to MCSE if you feel the need.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Insiderous

Insiderous New Member

Have to agree with Bluerinse here. A company I worked for used IC3 as an intro course aimed at people who had no PC experience at all. The exams certify your ability to ue a Windows interface, understand the really basic basics of Word, Excel and Powerpoint and browse the web and use email. It really is no more ambitious than that. If you're already past that stage, A+ is the place to start. IC3 details are at www.certiport.com if you're interested.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP, CIW
    WIP: MCSE W2K3, CCIE
  7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

It sounds similar to my own plan, A+, Net+, MCSA, MCSE..

I do have just under a years experience with microsoft administration so that will help me, and I would suggest you to get as much "hands on" as you possibly can, working with what your learning day in and day out helps a great deal.

Im not sure what your current employment status is?

A job in the field is priceless in so many ways, so that would be a must at some point in your studies, the earlier the better.

Good luck with everything :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

take whatever route you feel suits you best, if you are entry level then learn accordingly

dont run before you can walk etc etc

also just because emplyers dont ask for A+ N+ (I havent noticed many) if you can explain at interview and the reasons why I feel it goes a long way to show ones interest in IT and commitment to being as employable as possible and not just someone trying to blag their way in

WIP: N+ & CCNA
  9. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Some good advice here!

The one thing I found that was most helpful in my own situation was to setup a home study lab of three Pc's...now quite a few years ago.

Basically I found that being able to install my own domain at home, add users etc was a great help. Then I mapped the objectives of various exams to tasks applied against these home pc's.

And yes they where usually reinstalled every two or three months or so.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff