Problem Software to detect AV + FW status of domain machines/Servers

Discussion in 'Software' started by Asterix, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking for an application to help me determine the AV and FW status of domain machines/Servers, I have used something previously although i cant remember what it was, I'm not sure whether there is any of this functionality in NMap or MBSA.

Any info would be appreciated!

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Network Access Protection with Server 2008 may be of some help.

Network Access Protection

For Windows firewall can you not just enable it through GPO for all machines on the domain?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Great thinking Sparky, i dont need to report on whether they have a Fw on their client machine if i enforce this using a GPO, I have now done this! Thanks

I just had a brief look into NAP and it looks a little tricky and possibly not necessary for this small requirement, surely there is a simpler way of determining client AV programs that have been locally installed, i think we have AVG Free and MS Security Essentials for all users.

Kind regards,
    Asterix

4. Sparky

In most cases I have used a third party product to audit PC\Laptops in terms of what software.

Also the AV product may be installed but not configured correctly. Most business AV products have a centralised management console so you can push config changes and make sure each client has the latest AV definitions.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just watch out for licensing, as I recall AVG free is only for personnal use (not for business, even if it is not-profit) and MS Security Essentials are free for organisations with 10 or less PC's.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Depends on what your using, many enterprise and SME packages have network admin tools available.

Otherwise, you could look at Spiceworks

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Or just run a simple Powershell script

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  8. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

I did look into this option before, but i have no experience of powershell and from previous investigation i didn't see anything too "simple" about Powershell.

Does anyone have any examples of simple Powershell scripts i could modify, and how i would use the script to obtain the required information?

Kind regards,
    Asterix

9. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

You can use it to query WMI loads of stuff online and books on Amazon

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  10. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

The easiest way(since you know the AV that should be installed on your clients) would be to just check for the service

Code:
    Get-Service -DisplayName "*comodo*"

or check the Security Center

Code:
    $computername=$env:computername
    $AV = Get-WmiObject -Namespace root\SecurityCenter2 -Class AntiVirusProduct  -ComputerName $computername

$AV.DisplayName

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  11. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

I knew it was gonna be a little out of my scope but your simple breakdown raises so many questions I don't know where to start.
    :S

12. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

What about Forefront Endpoint Protection? It's the business version of MS Security Essentials and can, as far as I'm aware, be centrally managed.

I remember reading somewhere that certain licensing agreements allow you to install this for free? Microsoft licensing is hardly straight forward, so you'll have to seek clarification on this!

There's also Windows Intune (PC Management and Security Software in the Cloud - Windows Intune). I've read a whitepaper on it, but have never seen it deployed.

Alternatively, most Anti-Virus software comes with a tool that can be installed on the servers which allows you to push out updates, check client status etc.

13. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Well i did look at some of the more enterprise AV solutions and for a company of 10 (handy ay it enables us to use MS Security essentials without breaching licencing), but we are mostly external sales and technical guys and there is nobody to deal with the day to day config, who would be tasked with anything centrally managed, therefore we are really looking for a standalone AV soloution, and a method of ensuring/detecting this is on all company Laptops.

14. Sparky

Regardless if it is installed AV software needs to be configured correctly to be effective.

You may want to look at a product that offers password protection on the config, this means the user can configure the software to an extent but let’s say the user try’s to switch off the AV then they will be prompted for a password.

15. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Spiceworks, "The software discovers Windows, Unix, Linux and Mac OS X machines along with other IP-addressable devices such as routers, VOIP phones, printers, etc."

We have used it at work before, and from memory, you can see which AV is installed/running - versions, how up-to-date they are as well.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  16. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

I thought Spicework was call logging software, Ill have to check it out!

Kind regards,
    Asterix

17. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Yes, it has quite a few features, Helpdesk, Inventory, Network Scanner. It has a series of plugins/addons for it to, one being the Monitoring Software.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  18. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the info, although it may be a little bit heavy weight for this requirement!

19. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

What questions do you have on the powershell example, at the end of the day all you had to do was paste it into a PS console and it would have displayed the AV name

View attachment 2538

I can finish it off so it either adds the Computer Name and AV info to a file or even email it to you

20. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

+1 for Spiceworks, although we dont use it for this purpose it is useful for auditing PCs as well as the call logging and so on, plus its free

You can get it to email reports on a frequent basis as well so you can keep up to date

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal