Software Deployment via Group Policy Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by steveh2001, Jan 21, 2010.

1. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Hi guys,

I am trying to deploy the 2007==> 2003 compatibility pack via group policy to 200-300 machines. Some of these machines have it already installed, and I was under the impression that when deploying via AD using assigned and in the computer configuration, that if the software was already installed - it wouldnt try and re-install it.

Having tested the GPO on several users without the software it installed fine, but now testing on users who do have the software (i just want to leave the GPO on our computers OU), it seems to reinstall it... The entries from the event log state that it is being reinstalled.

Is this normal? Cant it be stopped? Is there a reason for it? Cant seem to find much on google about it! Some of the new machines have updates on the compatibilty pack - could this be the problem?

Thanks for any help

Steve

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

This microsoft article may be of help.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Thanks NB - I stumbled across this before - but I think this is for users deployment - mine is a computer deployment.

One thing I did find is in the uninstall key in the registry - the version information is different from the deployed version and the original version, despite it being from the same copy of the software. So I assume that updates deployed from our WSUS server have caused this change. So by this logic, is i'm guessing it will keep downgrading the software each time the software is updated?

Is this correct?

CHeers
    Steve

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?