Sod’s laws,

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by rabmerab, Mar 19, 2010.

1. rabmerab

rabmerab Bit Poster

Hi guys

I guess the people who has been working long enough in the IT will answer this question.
    There is some time so faults which you may come cross in the fields and they are so wearied that’s all the logic you use to resolve the problem doesn’t take you know where. You follow all the procedures and everything seem ok but you don’t know why.
    This did put off me in the past, about working as network engineer because I didn’t want to be there where the whole school network for example goes down and you don’t know how to resolve it because sod’s law decide to kick in at that time. I guess it will be the embarrassment and the sack after that.
    You the expert have been is this situation and how did you cope with it.
    Is it so often this happened?
    Thanks in advance for any inputs.
    rabmerab

2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

It's not difficult usually to work out why a network in a school has gone down for example. It's a case of excluding the reasons. Usually, someone has unplugged something.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sod's law is like that - that's how it got it's name.
    The fact that repalcing a faulty power supply with a brand new one, which could fail immediately - leads you to assume that it wasn't the power supply in the first place.

It's why we drink to be honest.

:alc

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I think that where experience comes in. you learn systems,there common problems, how to troubleshoot them ,where to find answers and of course when stuck where to ask.

Secondly don't be frightened to ask colleagues for help and advice.

Most of the time troubleshooting is about using deduction ie ruling out what the problem isnt.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  5. supernova

And that :)

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yeah.
    Think that's tea in my BatMug?
    No.
    It isn't.

:(

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

In that situation I would probably pump myself full of roids and not have a care in the world.

Failing that I could act the professional that I am, take a step back and get a full grasp of whats at fault and try to pick apart whats gone wrong and why. The sign of a professional isn't that of someone wandering around like a headless chicken clucking, it's of the one person who is calmly investigating how to resolve the issues, no one has all the answers and that's what google is for but you can take educated guesses and work with them.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. rabmerab

rabmerab Bit Poster

I think every one here is missing my point. I am talking about sod’s law and thanks to JonnyMX ( Shakespeare) for correcting me.:D
    Just to illustrate this I will give this example.
    Last summer, we did have an order from the far east . So I checked the devices again and again for quite a long period because I didn’t want anything to goes wrong knowing it is a very long distance and costly to get them back.
    I been familiar very well with device.
    One weekend I got my boss ringing me and telling me that all the device are working only one is giving trouble. I emailed them troubleshooting procedure and as my boss told me they know what they were doing because this was there second order.
    They spend the whole weekend trying but they fail to make that particular device to work.
    After a while they send the device back and when I got it, with out doing any thing to it, start working straight away.
    It hasn’t been luck of experience or anything faulty in the device but it just didn’t want to work when it has to be working.
    This is what I mean by sod’s law

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  9. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

It's called S H I T and it happens!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. supernova

Something Happens that is Irritating and Troublesome

12. dpbarry

dpbarry Bit Poster

Heh..heh!! Never a truer phrase

I like the thread:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread5506.html

as it has been commented by my boss in reference to 'me'. I step back and watch all the others run around like headless chickens and watch them all stop dead when I walk in 'click click switch' and it all starts working.

I'm a firm believer in 'the further up the chain they go, the stupider they get'

Declan

Certifications: None at present
    WIP: None at present
  13. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

A newbie will panic when the servers or whatever go down. They will try a few random things that occur to them, and possibly change things without fixing the problem. Then they forget to change these settings back before moving on to the next troubleshooting step.

This just makes the puzzle more puzzling .

A seasoned professional won't panic when the **** hits the fan.

They will take a look at the problem from all angles, quickly come up with a strategy for fixing it. Methodical steps that use logic to narrow down the problem.

The eight steps
    The most important part of troubleshooting any problem is to divide the tasks of problem resolution into a systematic process of elimination. Cisco has broken this process into eight steps:

1. Define the problem.
    2. Gather detailed information.
    3. Consider probable cause for the failure.
    4. Devise a plan to solve the problem.
    5. Implement the plan.
    6. Observe the results of the implementation.
    7. Repeat the process if the plan does not resolve the problem.
    8. Document the changes made to solve the problem.

Taken from http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1030582.html

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

And this is why companies no longer hire newbies (certified or not) to do server/network administration. Over time, those newbies will hone their troubleshooting skills to become those "seasoned professionals".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

a quick boot to the servers left hand corner seems to work for me :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?