So who's going to watch...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by wizard, Sep 14, 2007.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

... England get stuffed by South Africa in the Rugby tonight? :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I had to switch off after the 1st half way too embarrassing to watch, just turned it back on briefly, even worse seeing the scoreline.

3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

We were utter C**p

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

So much more time does Brian Ashton need to turn the team around? I say quite a few of us are doubting Brian Ashton now.

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I reckon about four years should do it...

Seriously, that was absolutely, unutterably dreadful.

I'm putting money on Samoa beating us.

I've seen some dreadful shite from England in the past, but I agree with Algarve - that's probably the most consistently poor perfomance I have ever seen. Sackey was woeful - how on Earth can you have a winger with no pace ffs? Farrell looks an absolute shadow of his league past - I've never seen him have a good game in union, but I've never seen him play quite as badly as he did tonight. The only players to come out of that with any credit at all were Robinson and (for the first 60 minutes) Lewsey

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I'm just gutted England were so bad.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I watched it. :biggrin

Quite a week to be a Scot when the worst thing to happen in Scottish sport is the cricket <sic> team got pumped out of the 20 20s due to not playing.

Allez l'Ecosse :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ack well, cant win em awww! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - listen to it...

The sweaties win one game against the odds against a France side who are a shadow of their former selves, spend 50 minutes huffing and pussing in the rugby against a bunch of butchers, bakers & candlestick-makers before finally putting them away and get royally pounded in the 20/20 and all of a sudden they 'can't win them all' :rolleyes:

You'll get knocked down to Earth again when Italy thump you at Hampden anyway. And if you think you're getting out of that group in the RWC, you're mistaken - New Zealand are probably the best rugby side ever assembled, and Italy will grind you out.

On the plus side, you do have two teams in the chumpions league - so that'll be interesting (until December at least) :biggrin

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL, was only a bit of fun Zeb. :biggrin

When do Scotland get to celebrate anything? Ever? Beating France (twice) is obviously a big deal for us.

Just for the record I support England as well (English parents) so I like to see both do well in any sport.

Anyways, I reckon we will hammer Italy! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Why are England pants at sports they invented?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

I think its because they dont have the motivation any more, not sure about rugby but most football players in the premier leagues earn way too much so there's really no need for them to push them selves :( . Another thing not wanting to sound too racist :) take chelsea football club, there arnt many english players in there so the pool of players to pick from for England games is small

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

It's nothing to do with the money, well it shouldn't be. Brian Ashton was in Andy Robinson's shadow for far too long and hasn't got a hope in hell of turning the team around. We've also got a whole bunch of people in the team that have seen better days and had already retired only to come out of retirement because there's no one else with any talent coming through anymore.

14. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yep - spot on. Add to that a whole load of players who simply aren't international class (Sackey, Noon, Perry, Freshwater, Tait, Farrell etc) and a complete lack of desire amongst the squad (outside players like Dallaglio & Robinson) and you have a recipe for disaster.

15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I don't think Chelsea is your best example mate - at least there are some English players there (Joe Cole, Ashley Cole, Sidwell, Terry, Lumpalard, Bridge, Wright-Phillips). Compare that with Liverpool, where the only English players that have a sniff of getting in the England team are Crouch and Gerrard. or, even worse, Arsenal - where there aren't ANY English players of note.

Not that I've got any fondness for Chelsea - I can't stand 'em - but at least Mourinho seems to know the value of having native players in his team.

16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - just joshing Sparks. If you knew my real name you'd realise that the blood that courses through my veins is not entirely untainted with dark blue... It's about as Scottish a name as you could get!

17. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm not into what we Yanks call, soccer, but I can definitely feel your pain. My favorite teams have been absolutely frustrating to watch for the last 2-3 years. They have been atrocious.

I'm a Raiders(NFL), Braves(MLB), and Trailblazers(NBA) fan, and it's been tough. For as long as I really followed followed the NFL, until now, the Raiders have been really good. Now they absolutely suck. They haven't had a winning percentage over .250 now for at least 3 years.

The same with the Trailblazers. They were in the playoffs for a quarter century straight, and then they just fell apart. This year looked like it might be a pretty encouraging one, and their #1 draft pick, a good center, just had microfracture surgery on one of his knees. He will be out for at least a year, and I have yet to see anyone come back from that surgery and be the same, athletically, as they were before the surgery. Gone before he even plays a game....

And the Braves, wow, what frustration. They have a pretty talented team, but it seemed this year as if they were just snakebitten. One of their best starting pitchers was out before the season began, elbow surgery. Their best reliever had to have Tommy John surgery in the middle of the season(that's where they take a tendon from elsewhere and implant it to replace a blown out tendon in the elbow). Then promising young pitchers were so up and down that it was really bad. You never knew who was going to show up when they pitched. Added to that was the fact that the offense could be really potent, but it seemed like on the nights when the pitchers needed run support, the bats went silent, and then they have lost 25 out of 41 one run games.

So, when I see the devestation on this thread, I can sympathize. It's been three long sports years in a row for me.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1