So, time to lay Xp to rest ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by UKDarkstar, Nov 27, 2009.

?

Time to lay Xp to rest ?

Poll closed Dec 2, 2009.
  1. Yes - goodbye old friend

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No - don't like these new fangled o/s !

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Interesting blog on the BCS website :

http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conBlogPost.1490

So, what do you think ? Time to lay Xp to rest ?

(Couldn't post a poll in the Software forum so this has ended up under The Lounge :biggrin )

(Nice of AJ to move it :biggrin )

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
    Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I think the time has come yes, XP has had its day and 7 is such an improvement its difficult to justify hanging on to the venerable old bugger.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I would say yes for all new computers, and no for any other computers you have lying around in your home that you still want to use, but cannot upgrade due to poor driver support or just general "slowness".

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. garffff

garffff New Member

personally I'm a huge fan of XP. I've always used it from day one. I use linux as well though. I know when vista first came out it was horrible and I have not used 7 yet. I just know where everything is on XP.

Certifications: HND in IT, AVCE in ICT, NVQ 2 & 3 IT
    WIP: CCNA
  5. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I dont think it has had its time yet and definately appears to be about for a few more years in the workplace until they move across to windows 7.

I will probably run my laptop on 7 and desktop on xp at home

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I still think it has its uses now and again. I used it yesterday to completely wipe my HDD. I could have used vista or windows 7 but i needed a 32 bit OS and XP is the only one i have now. Its the first time i have booted XP up in a few months now though!

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Where's the choice for undecided or not yet?

At home I'll put Win 7 on the last of my pc's, I already have it on my work laptop but for the rest of the company there's no way that I'd put it on. There's just too much specific software that we use that will have to go through testing processes before we even think about it.:dry

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

No sitting on the fence allowed ! :p

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

XP was solid and easy to get on with.

Vista and 7 have turned into toys for people who want things to look pretty.
    I'll be putting 7 on my machine at home because it's not Vista although I set up 7 the first time for someone the other day and thought it was Vista...

:x

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

and thats why I still have XP :biggrin
    The other reason why I am not going to upgrade to windows 7 is the virtual PC. I still play my old PC games like Lotus III (through dos box) and Virtual On via virtual PC with windows 98 installed :rolleyes: I can get any of theses to played on XP. but if you upgrade to windows 7, I am not sure if virtual pc will allow 98 to run on windows 7:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Virtual_PC#Table_of_supported_operating_systems

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  11. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Love Win 7, just can't fault it on my laptop BUT I still think XP very much has its place, netbooks for instance. I also think people should have the option to go for the no frills minimum cost option when buying a PC.

** Edit: obvioulsy theres Linux (free) but I mean minimum cost while maintaining Windows compatibilty (XP)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I personally think that both OS's are still good, it's just that windows 7 is has more to offer then xp does which is why it's going to be the main stream OS in the future, but currently, XP still has it's many uses.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Just use VMware server instead?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  14. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Still waiting for copy of Windows 7 and then would hang up Vista Ultimate and move:) but at the moment still loving Vista Ultimate.

I still have a Wins XP computer at home and still use XP at work. I don't think XP would be off computers just yet though, maybe two years from now.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  15. Rich165

Rich165 Bit Poster

:ohmy :ohmy :blink :ohmy :ohmy :blink :blink :ohmy

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP Server 08 & Exch07, CCNA, CCNA Sec
    WIP: ...everything else!!
  16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

How about a choice "not allowed to do it" then? :twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  17. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Sounds like a Swiss choice to me :p

18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nope. I'll continue to use XP for a while. No compelling reason for me to switch.

That said, I don't agree with the negative choice in the poll... leaving me with no answer.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!