So this is what you really think!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by wbhawkins, Jul 24, 2008.

1. wbhawkins

wbhawkins New Member

Hello everyone,

I have spent the last 10 years of my life selling IT training in various shapes and forms. I spent five years of that with Microsoft selling books (MS Press) into the retail world. And I now run my own live, online learning company training people on Microsoft technologies.

But I only rarely had the chance to speak to the people who actually bought or used the products I was selling. Sad, I know, but that's corporate life... Swamped in the process!

But this is great to read about how it really is.

I hope I can help but I expect you will be helping me!

Can I ask a question or two?

Is getting an MCSE certification really worthwhile? It's expensive and long winded and there are so many 'paper qualified' people out there that it seems to be worthless.

Also, what do you look for in a really good training company?

Thanks!

Certifications: MOS Excel
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yes, with the right amount of commercial experiance having the MCSE on your CV is a big help.

Honesty :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. wbhawkins

wbhawkins New Member

Great. Thank you!

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

We have many people on here who come on saying they are going for there MCSE but have no experience, it is possible to get but as you say they end up being a paper MCSE and can find it hard to get a job.

The MCSE is great for anyone with the right amount of experience.

With training companies I would want them to be honest and provide me with the correct materials, but then again I would rather self study then I know that I will get the correct materials myself and save a packet in the meantime.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Davidus

Davidus Nibble Poster

Hi - welcome to CF.

I cannot say anything regarding the MCSE, but as mentioned above, the certification is really only worthwhile when the individual has the necessary experience to make the certification relevant, and I agree that the more 'paper certs' that are obtained must somewhat lessen (to some degree) the impact of obtaining one, but I cannot speak with any authority on this.

As for what to expect from TP's, well, like above, honesty, but also, as an extension of that, a relevant course 'tailored' to the individual's needs. I know that this can be difficult to accompany when there are many different people desiring different courses, and maybe this is the reason why there is a 'fixed prospectus' but those TP's who can 'chop and change' their courses do not do so with the individual's best interest in mind, and aim to sell what they can (which I guess from their point of view) is the name of the game.

Maybe, more clarity in explaning what each course/cert achieves and the best route to get there would be a welcome bonus, and if at all possible, without using unrealistic stats and figures (especially concerning potential earnings etc etc etc), lol.

That's just my humble opinion.

Davidus

Certifications: EDCL (don't laugh)
    WIP: 70-536, Comptia A+
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. wbhawkins

wbhawkins New Member

Thanks, GreenBruceLee (Great Name!)

'Experience' is the key word, I keep hearing. And this is the dilemma for people wanting to get into IT. i.e. getting trained and then getting a job which will help them get the experience.

8. wbhawkins

wbhawkins New Member

Thanks, Davidus

Useful insight into the realities.

Have any of you ever looked at this site to get an idea of the money on offer for IT jobs advertised? http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/

9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Do you work for a company now or are you an IT contractor?

Oh..and hello & Welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  10. Davidus

Davidus Nibble Poster

Actually I have, but due to my inexperience with the IT sector, I do not know how realistic these figures are.

BUT, realistic or not, at least it can give me an insight as to what the current trends are and what aspects I need to learn and gain experience in.

Certifications: EDCL (don't laugh)
    WIP: 70-536, Comptia A+
  11. wbhawkins

wbhawkins New Member

Hi,

I now run my own company running training courses online. I used to be a contractor but I have always been on the sales and marketing side. I would like to go for an MCTS certification in Windows Vista but not to gain a job. Only for the understanding of how it works and how I can improve the experience for my customers.

Hope that helps.

12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I was wondering did you hire someone to create and setup the design of the website or do it yourself?

Also what type of software do you use for the purchasing of the course??

13. wbhawkins

wbhawkins New Member

We built the web site ourselves. We have a very good web developer. We hired a designer for the logos etc.

If I have understood you correctly, we have built the site using Visual Studio 2005, and we are working on developing our shopping cart in the next few weeks.

14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Cool!8)