So I'm in the supermarket..

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by rax, Dec 12, 2007.

1. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Ok, so I have 30minutes for my lunch and it takes 5 minutes just to get myself to the supermarket.

I pick up 3 items for my lunch and, noticing the large-ish queues, I decided I would go through the Kiosk. There's 2 operators there, one a young girl and the other old, the younger of the two was serving one of the local punters.

So I'm standing behind him waiting to be served, meanwhile the other of the two stands there chatting away to the customer that she ISN'T serving. After a good 3minutes of waiting she turns to me and says "Oh, I can't serve you because you have those items, you will need to go to the checkouts". I have a bad temper as it is and I turned away in a raging mood and went off to the checkouts, the queues are now even larger.

So in the end, I left the supermarket absolutely fizzing (I worked in one until just last month) and decided that I wasn't going to let this woman have the satisfaction of thinking she completely wasted my time, I rang the manager and complained about her.

I feel almost bad now and I told the manager that I didn't want anything to be done to her, I just want him and her to know that it "pissed me off".

Anyone agree? :rolleyes::oops:

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I say well done mate...there is nothing more pi$$ taking than standing a queue only to be told u cant served cos of this and that...and then having to queue in a longer line which boils the blood even more...but for me...its always when those behind the counter are talking to someone they are not serving...its like Hello!! Can u see me standing here?!?!?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Completely agree with ya dave - I wouldn't have waited till I left though :twisted:

I see the other side a bit though as my wife's a retail manager and by daughter also works in retail and some of their srories about rude customers beggers beleive sometimes.

I'm still a firm believer in that there is really no excuse for poor customer service and if you gave been treated poorly you either get your point across or don't bother shopping there again.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  4. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Ah good to see I'm not the only one!

Yea I wanted to complain when I was in-store but it was more time efficient to phone when I was in the car (not driving, was getting a lift).

As I said, I used to work in a supermarket and have done for the past 4 years. I know myself that the level of customer service I received was not to a good enough standard.

TimoftheC: yea, there are some really piss taking customers out there. I've experienced it myself and there's nothing more annoying that a moany, arrogant customer. In this case however, I just wanted to buy my lunch and was made to wait around longer than need be. :(

5. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Also, in my old store we had an express queue, 10 items or less. The queueing system was aweful though and you couldn't see the sign most times. If somebody came to my checkout with more than 10, after waiting in the queue, I'd serve them happily. More often than not they've actually waited LONGER than they would have in the non express :p

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would have just dumped whatever I had bought on the counter and say "you don't want my custom, then tough sh**, I 'll go elsewhere".

I have done it before and I will probably do it again.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Yea perhaps but then I'd have no lunch and they would have a small skive putting the items back.

8. greenbrucelee

could you have not gone to another place?

9. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Well, not really no. I only have 30mins for my lunch and it used around 20 just going there, picking up my stuff and then getting back to the office. So as you can imagine, any unecessary delay on the checkouts gets me pretty mad.

10. greenbrucelee

then I would have been really pissed off.