So, I sat 70-271 and 70-272 today...

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by DaveyB1981, Jan 23, 2009.

1. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

Well, today was my first experience of a Microsoft exam. My results were a little mixed in that i passed one and failed one (failed 70-271).

Personal experience was that 272 was by far the easier of the two exams, which made me glad i took it at the same time as it softened the blow and also got it out of the way to concentrate on a possible resit of 271 (unfortunately didnt get my second shot voucher registered so it'll be £88 for me to pay if work dont!)

I used the MS material on this occasion and to be honest i dont think it did any huge favours so i will be searching this forum for suggestions on other books. On that point does anyone happen to know any "highstreet" shops that may have them in for me to take a look at the actual books before i buy?

I may also invest in some practise questions. I used a demo of transcender and found those useful...

One last point...I am trying to figure whether i now have MCP status? MS states "Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) candidates are required to pass one current Microsoft Certification exam* that provides a valid and reliable measure of technical proficiency and expertise." but then appears to refer to MCDST as a whole. My results page talks about MCP but again, kinda woolly...does anyone know for sure? (i'm kinda new to MS certs!)

Thanks for reading!

Dave

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  2. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi there

im sure the mcdst cert comprises of 2 mcp's and if u only passed one then it will still show on your transcript as an mcp. tho i could be wrong.

well done anyway

regards

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yes, you are an MCP.

Congrats, and best of luck on your next attempt!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's right, once MS receives your results it can take up to a couple of weeks for MS to send you a congrats e-mail with instructions on what to do next :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

Well done on the pass. Bad luck with the 271. I found the MS Press books to be quite adequate along with the Transcender tests. The books don't cover every topic in detail so you will have to find extra learning on the MS site for those areas. Experience also helps (which you seem to have plenty of). Good luck with the retake.

T

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-270
  6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I'm studying both the 70-271 and 2 right now and I would say 272 is the easiest, that's because frankly, I troubleshoot applications all day every day, and very rarely will I ever cover the things in the 271 such as UDF and unattended installations etc, I simply come across things related to 272 more often. So I'm dreading the 271.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

Yeah im similar Western. Until around 6 months ago i was troubleshooting the stuff in 79-272 every day (for 3 years) so that was easy. 70-271 i felt should have been pretty straight forward but there was a lot of stuff that i generally dont see.

BTW Western, where in the North West are you if you dont mind me asking?

Dave

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...