So I had this cutomer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Oct 29, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

who decided to upgrade his ram to a faster type and different brand (patriot 1066MHz) he asked me to check wether it would be compatible for his mobo and I told him that it wasn't on his motherboards qvl list so ther probably would be compatabilty issues.

He said that he had already bought the ram from newegg and what should he do, so I said contact newegg and see if you can get it replaced or get an RMA on it.

He then decided to put the ram into his motherboard anyway (because he couldn't be bothered with the hassle of contacting newegg) now his pc freezes and sometimes refuses to boot.

I told him to put the old ram in and do a cmos reset in which he replied " I can't I have just ran over the ram in my office chair and it's snapped in two piece" I tried not to laugh at this point but couldn't really help it :)

Now he is trying to blame me for his pc not working and his ram being snapped in two.

I told him just get some new ram, some make that's actually on the qvl list.

He now says he is buying a new motherboard to go with the patriot ram but he is skint.

"surely buying the ram would be cheaper than a motherboard". I said

He said "yes it would but I want the one (asus motherboard) with red bits on it" I think he meant the heatsinks on the NB and SB.

He says he want's me to help cover the costs, I told him that what has happend is in no way my fault because I advised him correctly and that his system would work if he just bought the correct ram for it.

Some people you have to deal with shouldn't be allowed near a computer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Unfortunately this is what happens when dealing with end users.

Incredible that he thinks he can actually blame you but, on a more serious note, highlights the need to document, get sign-offs and have appropriate insurance cover !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Couldn't agree more... always CYA (Cover Your A$$). 8)

4. morph

morph Byte Poster

lol - i'm not laughing at the advice as thats good - but nice story dude :D

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

It's the customer's fault, but hey it's a learning experience as next time you'd rather not advice. However, you can get the customer to bring in their base unit to you and take it all from there. Best wishes:), how is the job front still with your old company or taken the money?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
    Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If this is the same tard who caused you the same sort of grief before, I'd politely tell him to find someone else to do his PC support. Sometimes it's just best to let certain clients go.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL! ohhh, errrr... bad news there. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

No this is another retard, there seems to be quite a few about.

Yep, I was shocked and saddend by his complete **** up :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

This is why I don't do foreigners or favours - apart from close family (they still have to pay me).

I do enough customer service at home, for people that appreciate it. Don't want to come home and start all over again :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Xenophobe!!! :dry

:p :usa

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Could you imagine the wait, getting IT support from an evening-only tech in the UK? :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA