So glad i found this forum. please read.

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by philngems, Jul 9, 2007.

1. philngems

philngems Bit Poster

:) hello to all..

I am on to section 3a of CIW with skills train. I have heard some bad things about the course and not too much about the grade.

Is there anyone on here who has passed and got a job if so.
    My questions are as follows

Exams are they hard, are they multiple choice..

How did u find getting a job.. do most jobs like the qualification and not too bothered about lack of expirenece.

Top tips from you and what you would do diffrently

Can you send me a copy of your notes..lol i had to ask.

Thanks

First post so be nice

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

I would expect Skills Train to tell you about the exam format. After all, you have paid them a lot of money and they are *supposed* to help you.

As for jobs - Web Design is a very crowded field, and most jobs will be awarded on the basis of a portfolio of attractive sites, with any certs coming a good second!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

I agree with harry....you can't rely on certs even if you are a master designer...unless you have proof that you can build web sites by showing them a good e-portfolio, then you wont stand much chance getting employed. Trust me on this because the two interview's i have had and the half a dozen phone calls i had....not one of these potential employers had heard of the CIW certifications. They just asked me if i had some recent work that i could show them and i didn't.

If i did, then i am sure they would have given me a start or as for the phone calls, at least an interview....then i would have to impress them with my attitude and enthusiasm. One thing employers are looking for is good communication skills, not just skills.

As for the exams...well, i sat my exam in a room with a few others each taking the nearest PC and then answering multiple choice questions. When i had finished and went back over my answers...i then pressed finish and waited for the result. When the computer said " yes you lucky git, you have passed by the skin of ya teeth" (well, thats what i thought it said):biggrin , then you go home and wait for the cert to arrive.

I am using self study kits, so dont know if skills train do this differently but i believe that all exams are multiple choice from a PC.
    All the best

Certifications: CIW Professional
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What they said.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. JuryDuty

JuryDuty Bit Poster

Welcome!

As others have said, exams are multiple choice.

I also echo the sentiment that you probably wouldn't get a job based on CIW certification alone, any more than you might get a chef job based on culinary education alone. Employers will want a real "taste" of what you can do before hiring you.

The good news is, CIW certifications should give you a good foundation for what you need to know. Then it's up to you to put your own flavor with it and put it into practice.

And it will look good on a resume.

WIP: CIW Site Designer