SMTP/POP3 servers.

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Baba O'Riley, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

OK, I've never had a POP3 email account that wasn't supplied by my ISP so I've never encountered this problem, but the solution was a real surprise.

Over on another forum I visit, someone with a Wanadoo email account but was with a different ISP was having trouble sending mail to the SMTP server. Pulling mail off the POP3 server wasn't a problem. It turns out he should have been using the SMTP server of his ISP, not Wanadoo/Freeserve/Orange. That to me seems mucho weirdo but I can't really explain why. If I play it out in my head, it works, but I don't think it should.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Port 25 blocking is common with some ISPs. If you try to send with a different email domain (not the one your ISP gave you) through your ISPs SMTP service expect that to be blocked as well! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Baba O'Riley

Thanks Sparky, but if I understand you right, that is the opposite of what is happening in my post I think.

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Sparky is right. This is a deliberate policy on the part of most ISPs to try and reduce the misuse of email.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Baba O'Riley

This guy says he is sending email through his ISP's (Sky broadband) SMTP server using a Wanadoo email address and it's not being blocked. Isn't what you're saying that it should be blocked because his email domain is not supplied by his ISP? That's what's confusing me.

6. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

You'll probably find his ISP is using a smarthost to filter out what's being sent to the main servers.

Enter the guys email address in the email section of here and it'll tell you what's happening when it reaches the mail server. Should enlighten you a bit.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Baba,

The only explanation I can think of is Sky and Orange have some *partnership* or relationship of trust.

When using an ISP's SMTP Server with another domain, I have always had the <550 Relay not allowed>.

There is a way around this; I got fed up with different e-mail addresses, using webmail/ mail client depending on where I am and signed up with Fastmail. I can use my e-mail client wherever because I connect to their SMTP server via whatever ISP I am on the end of.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Baba O'Riley

Thanks for the input guys.:D

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, I used to be able to send through my ISPs SMTP server for my work email (email was pulled down via POP3 from my works server) but then it got locked down and I got a 550 error as boyce has explained.

With some ISPs you can still get away with it though :biggrin

In some cases you cant use another SMTP server other than the one your ISP has provided but sometimes you can do a few tweaks in Outlook to get around it. Not a reliable solution 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

No - this isn't quite what is happening.

First - there is no arrangement netween Sky and Orange/Wanadoo. And Sky broadband doesn't block outgoing SMTP.

What is happening here is that he is attempting to use the Orange SMTP from a Sky address. Orange has no way of knowing who he is so it says 'no'.

In the case of POP3 pulling, many ISPs allow that remotely because POP3 trivialy includes a method of authenticating. However, not *all* ISPs allow this. And some only do it if some special action is taken.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

You can always rely on Harry for confirmation :thumbleft

Baba, I would recommend Fastmail for exactly what you have mentioned in this post.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well this is an issue for anyone that has their own email domain ie anyone that doesn't want to use [email protected] - this is a very common situation for companies, as they have there own web site and or email domains, for example [email protected].

As has been said by Harry and others. ISP are clamping down on people misusing emails (spamming) and having open relay mail servers which can be used by spammers. In an effort to prevent this they do not allow emails to be sent (SMTP) to any other email servers only theirs.

Not many SMTP servers require authentication, whereas POP3 ones do require a username and password.

The workaround is to use your ISPs mail server as the outgoing server and your own email server ie pop.bodgeduppc.com as your incoming email server.

That is what is recommended by the hosting company I use here and it works with all the ISPs here on the Gold Coast.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. Baba O'Riley

OK thanks guys.:thumbleft

Boyce, I'll keep your recommendation in mind but I'm not having these problems so I've no need of it for the moment.

Thanks again.:D