Small Business Backup Solution

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Fergal1982, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I've been doing some IT support this week for a Family business. I need to find a suitable backup solution for the business, and was hoping you guys could help out a little. Heres the specs:

Given that i cant be onsite all the time (they are in Ireland), and the family members are in no way computer literate, We've decided that we're going to go for a Disaster Recovery solution only (a single, weekly backup).

Again because of the computer literacy (and ease), we're looking for a solution that doesnt involve screwing around with different media for multiple copies of the backup (hence disaster recovery only).

This system is running XP Home (eurgh! dont even get me started), and has no network connections (no broadband, probably dialup if the machine was hooked up but it never is - all thats done from another machine).

I'm thinking that its most likely best to buy backup software and an external HDD, and set it to back up to the HDD every sunday night, then just tell them to leave the laptop hooked up, turned on, and plugged into the HDD every sunday evening.

Im well aware that this isnt the most ideal business solution, and have fully advised them that its not perfect (ie if the house burns down), but i cant use a complex backup system that they just wont understand and therefore not use. If i could have had them on broadband I'd have set them up with a site on my domain and an internal network with server, and sorted backups out over the network (still not perfect since i couldnt physically maintain the backup system - unless i sorted out a WAN connection), but its the best i can manage (damn countryside and crap Broadband).

Any suggestions on products or alternative solutions.

Thanks
    Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds ok under the circumstances.

You can use the Windows backup utility, its free after all! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

As Sparky has pointed out, Windows (NT) back up is free, and there to be used.

Personally, if i had to support a business, i would install Acronis and support from there.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If it's just their documents you want to backup, you might want to check this free backup util out called EZBackitup (stand for easy backup)..

http://www.rdcomp.net/download.php

It just copies any designated files and folders to an alternative location like an external USB drive. The destination needs to have a drive letter as UNC paths are not supported. Once the files and folders have been backed up, it uses the files time stamps to decide whether to back them up again in the future, so if the file hasn't changed it won't keep backing it up.

It's the most simple solution that I have seen to date.

It won't back up the system state though.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)