Slow Speed on accessing certain pages

Discussion in 'Networks' started by jackd, Sep 15, 2006.

1. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

When im trying to acess certain web pages the pages send or recieve some data from www.google-analytics.com. Every site that i go on that require something from that site takes about 5 mins to load
    Any Ideas
    Jack :)

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Jack,

Which sites exactly?

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It could be that when you actually try to access the site it comes up with: "Google Error - Not Found
    The requested URL / was not found on this server." (as of 15/Sept/2006 @ 15.30hrs). I guess it depends what kind of site you're trying to access and what data it needs.

Others will be around with their knowledge.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, trying to access google-analytics.com gives a 404 error. So, any site that you use that is trying to link to google-analytics.com is going to be very slow too, for the same reason I get when trying to access it.

The other sites just aren't passing the 404 error on to you.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'm using the NoScript extension to FireFox, and my standard rule is to leave all references to google-analytics.com blocked.

Makes things go much faster.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Yes Done that cleared the temp files,cookies etc ill try doing what harry is using and tell you what happens

9. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

how do you block the sites harry?

10. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

never mind edited the hosts file to 127.0.0.1 for google-analytics.com and works much faster

11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Jack,

what is a host file and what does 127.0.0.1 represent?

12. hbroomhall

The hosts file can be found on almost any PC with TCP/IP. On Unix it traditionaly lived in /etc and this has been echoed by Microsoft, who tend to put it in a subdir called etc in one of the system folders - on XP it is in \Windows\system32\drivers\etc.

It predates DNS, and contains a mapping of machine names to IP addresses. While DNS now is much more useful and flexible there are a number of cases where editing the hosts file helps.

One of these cases is where DNS is not available to a machine until a complete set of machines is up.

Some items of malware change this file to subvert the browsing of the owner.

In this case jackd's fix is a more modern use for the file. 127.0.0.1 is the address for 'localhost' - i.e. the machine itself. So he has told the machine to look at itself for any reference to google-analytics. It will of course fail to find it - but this happens quickly, and not with the long wait that might have happened if it was looking on the 'net.

There are anti-spyware systems available that edit this file dynamicaly to block known bad sites.

Harry.

13. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Interestingly enough if you Google "google-analytics" you find it is now google.com/analytics.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  14. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

the host file is also the thing that makes 127.0.0.1 point to localhost. Am i correct?

15. hbroomhall

Strictly - the other way about. It points 'localhost' to 127.0.0.1

On Unix systems the ifconfig system is what binds 127.0.0.1 to the loopback interface. Presumably Windows has a similar system somewhere.

Harry.

16. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Not withstanding that everything on the local machine is fine, you can always run a trace to the site(s) in question to see if you are crossing a network that's having issues. Many times when I use the phrase "charter sucks" and then run a trace to the site I'm trying to access, I fid out that I'm hitting extreme latency across Bellsouth's network.

Nope this helps. :D

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+