Slow internet page loading??

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by elli5on, Feb 19, 2007.

1. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Hi all, at the moment my internet connection is sooo slow. Now i have checked my internet connections and everything appears to be normal.

Its so annoying waiting for page load times. Especially when your using 4Meg broadband.

Any help would be grateful.

Craig

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What have you tried so far?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Went into network connections... right click into properties and checked the list. All seems ok.

4. Sparky

How are you connected to the internet? Probably worth rebooting the router\modem first.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Well i have re booted the moedem numerous occasion's. And still had no joy, Its NTL(virgin media) broadband, which IMHO is usually the best.

Takes an age

6. Sparky

Ok, ping www.google.co.uk at the command line, what is the response time? Should be around 30-40ms

7. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

I dont quite understand what you mean there sparky, Im guessing you want me to tell you how long the page takes to load. IN which case it took about 30 seconds..... AKA- Pants

8. Sparky

Ok, if you click on start and then run, type cmd. At the command line type... ping www.google.co.uk and then view the results.

If the response time is between 30 and 50 (just an example) then that looks ok. It may then be a DNS issue, therefore your internet connection is taking forever to resolve the URL but once resolved it loads ok.

I would guess that you do just have a 'slow connection' just now, have you tried the NTL website? Sometimes they list areas that are having connection problems. 8)

9. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Yeh the average is 43, so it would appear to be ok. Anyway to resolve the DNS issue.

I could always put my foot through the modem, see if that helps.

10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Try changing the proxy you or on or choose direct connection to the internet and see what happens

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. eddietop

eddietop Bit Poster

check you haven't got a proxy server set in IE, is your net fine with other browsers?

Might be worth running the netstat command and see exactly whats trying to talk to the net

Certifications: N+
    WIP: BSc Computer Secuirty
  12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Had a few customers reporting strange goings on at work today, along the lines of some sites not being found. I suspect DNS may have been having a prank today.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  13. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Have you tried broadband medic which comes with ntl, it checks your connection and clears temp files etc..

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I wouldn't advise using it, there have been documented problems with using any software from NTL.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  15. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

OK guys, so i fugrued out the cause of the slooooooow page loading, I have bitcomet running. And this was taking pretty much all my bandwidth. So i allocated it 70% of bandwidth, And boom. Fast as you like.

Cheers for your replies

16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well it may be faster but you are still losing 70% of your bandwidth, which I presume is beneficial to others wanting access to files on your computer.

IMHO BT and any P2P file sharing software is just not worth the risk, performance loss or agro. Not to mention the legality of some of the stuff that is being distributed.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)