slightly concerned....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rachael_B, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Rachael_B

Rachael_B Nibble Poster

Hi all

I built my PC a couple of months back and to date I've had no bother at all. For no particular reason, today I thought I'd download some software to see what my CPU temperature is - now i'm worried.

CPU = Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 (retail)

Core temp is currently telling me that my the temp on my four cores at the moment is arount 45 degrees as is CPUID hardware monitor. Asus AI suite records 25 degrees at the moment. I rebooted the PC and went in the BIOS and that had it down at 60. After playing Call of Duty 4 for abut 20 mins CPUID HM recorded my cores at 90 - 100 degrees!!! This seems really wrong?

Ive opened up the case and it doesnt feel very hot in there.

Should I be worried/considering reseating/replacing the CPU fan?

Please someone tell me its gonna be ok......:eek:

Thanks in advance

Rachael

Certifications: A+, ITIL v3 Fdn, Network+
    WIP: 70-680, 70-685
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have 2 minutes whilst I am waiting for some work to start.

Your PC should have rebooted if dangerous cpu temps were detected, this has been my experience in the past as it is supposed to be a fail safe on modern cpus.

If your pc didn't reboot then you may be ok but I would check the HSF cpu cooler by taking it off, wiping of the thermal past of the cpu and HSF with some TIM and then reapplying the thermal paste and reseat the HSF.

If your fans are sounding bad and slowing down (which will affect cooling then you may need to oil the bearrings but with this being a new build I can't see you needing to do that.

Try downloading any other cpu temp monitoring programs and see what they say, you may just be getting a false reading for some reason, maybe CPUID needs updated as you have a faulty copy or something.

Good luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the heatsink installed correctly? As GBL has said try reapplying a thin coat of thermal paste and reseat the heatsink.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Rachael_B

Rachael_B Nibble Poster

Thanks for the advice. I remember that the HSF was not the easiest thing to seat so maybe thats caused a problem. I'm going to order some more paste now ready for when I come back from my hols, any recommendations? I was looking at arctic silver on ebuyer....

Rachael

5. Sparky

Looks ok.

You need to make sure that the heatsink cannot move or slide when it is installed. I have seen some PCs overheat as when the case is upright the heatsink moves slightly, probably only a couple of millimetres, and that is enough movement to cause problems.

Best of luck. :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

As per other posts on same topic, I've used this for 10yrs + :

http://cpc.farnell.com/SAHEATSINKCO...-aids/product.us0?sku=servisol-200001000-25gm

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. Rachael_B

Rachael_B Nibble Poster

Ok thanks for that - i'll make sure it aint gonna budge :) One last question, as I'm going to be removing the HSF anyway, would there be any benefits to buying a seperate fan to the one that came with the processer?

Rachael

8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

You'll be fine with Arctic silver. I use either Arctic silver or Zalman STG1 thermal grease.

Out of interest, what is Asus AI suite reporting for the motherboard temps? I've had it in the past where the case cooling wasn't sufficient, and as the inside of the case got warmer it was causing the processor temp to creep higher.

HTH

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. Sparky

Providing everything is installed correctly all the ‘stock’parts should be fine as you are not over clocking.

Is the cabling in the PC neat and tidy? You need to make sure there is suitable airflow through the case to shift the hot air outta there. :biggrin

10. Rachael_B

Rachael_B Nibble Poster

Yea its tidy in there, its an Antec 900 aswell so it should have good airflow. Ah well I shall reseat the fan - its all good experience I suppose :)

Thanks for all your help guys

Rach

11. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I had a similar issue when I installed the Asus mobo in my PC. I use Everest to monitor my temps, soon after installing the mobo I was getting core temps of 100 degrees or more. The thermal cutout in the CPU would have shut the PC down long before it actually got that hot.

Many hours of fiddling about later... it turned out to be the Asus AI Suite. It doesn't play well if you have other temp sensing apps installed. I just renamed the folder where AI Suite is installed:

C:\Program Files\ASUS\Ai Suite.old

(you could uninstall it, but I wanted to keep it there for a rainy day, never used it since though!). AI Suite no longer runs on bootup, and Everest and other temp sensing apps I have used since give true readings.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  12. Rachael_B

Rachael_B Nibble Poster

Just thought i'd post an update - I opened up my PC this afternoon and reseated the HSF ( at the cost of the feeling in my fingers and thumbs) Good news is that now my PC is idling at about 35 and after a quick run on CoD4 its running at about 55 - Much more comforting to see! :biggrin

So for the time being i'm happy, although I may invest in quieter Fan after I get back from my hols!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions

Rach