Slackware, anyone?

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by tripwire45, Jul 1, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Since I now work at an all-linux shop, I expressed a desire to eventually convert (at least at work) to a Linux computing environment. When the writing power surge dies down, I'm supposed to get a 2nd PC running Slackware. As I understand it, Slackware is pretty stripped down but fully functional as opposed to Red Hat and SuSe, for example. Any books out there that are any good? Advice and suggestions?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

trip

Personally I'd stick with RedHat I assume you will be going the Fedora route.

3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

slackware is hardly stripped down, its pretty neat, I would recommend debian though other any other distro, its definatly got the power power
    very very versatile

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, anyone who uses Linux here, uses Slackware. They say it's the only way to fly if you want to learn Linux. When in Rome...

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. archlyric

archlyric New Member

slackware is terrible, i own it, u have to have too wide a knowledge of dependancies. fedora route is the smartest route, o debian (i use fc2)

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

FC2 was abysmal, it fell terribly short of expectations, I still use FC1 on my server, but will be migrating across to debian SARGE
    slackware doesnt have that many problems if you know what your doing, and it has its own propietary package managers and stuff, although the OS itslef is a pain to get working on vmware lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0