Skype!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Phoenix, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Skype has been around a while but recently hit the fabled 1.0 release, skype is a cross between an instant messenger program and a voip system (Voice Over IP) however skype uses its own P2P technology to connect calls

Skype to Skype calls are always free, enabling users to talk freely together wherever they are in the world, it also enables conference type calls with multiple users.
    It has been a long time since i used much net telephony systems such as NetMeeting et al, and i must say i am remarkably impressed with the advancements we have made, a call to my friend who was on vacation in poland prooved to be clearer than a phone call!!

Like traditional phones and instant messengers there is no pre establishing of the 'chat', if your friends are online you view them as such and just fire off a call like you would a friend who lives down the road, its fast and convieniant

Skype also features a system known as SkypeOut, whilst calls to other skype users are free, not all users have access to PCs, broadband, or have skype, what skype enables you to do is call standard telephones across the world for a small fee, 22 countries are charged at only €0.017, thats about 1.5 pence (UK) including the US, UK and Australia, this is not only cheaper than most long distance and international carriers, it also boasts better quality than any long distance service I have used to date (and im engaged to an american, so i've used plenty). I called my mother earlier who recently returned from holiday, she has no computer and i called her phone using skypeOut, not only did she finally not whinge that i was speaking too quietly, we talked for about 25 minutes and all it cost me was 0.310 euros

This is a great product thats FREE, and i encourage any broadband user to give it a try, I will be utilising it for the masterclass being that most/all of you have broadband, and it will be way easier to communicate than IMs :)

you can get the program from www.skype.com

my username is coatsy if anyone wants to add me :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Phoenix

I posted regarding Skype a little while ago here

Haven't yet tryed it myself, truth be known, not got a microphone. But as you think it will be ideal for the masterclass I shall sort it out and get myself online.

Any ideas how it works on a dialup ?

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I couldnt say unfortunatly AJ, i've heard it works ok but thats got to be taken with a grain of salt until i see it for myself. not having had dialup for 4 years and all :D

if anyone wants to check and let us know that would be great

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well, I think it's safe to say that, having tested this with AJ, it works absolutely fine over dial-up (mine), despite some hardware problems at my end.

Quality for me receiving was crystal clear. There was a slight break-up during a conversation whilst I was going to a different page on the site, but nothing major.

I can't see a problem with Skype for the purposes of the Master Classes:thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

As Gav just said, we had a little test of this and worked like a dream, except for some dodgy hardware, not my end mind. Could hear Gav with no time lag and the quality, taking into account the mic at Gav's and was excellent.

Would deff recommend using this for Master Classes.

Come on guys sign up and lets get the Master Classes going, Phoenix is right, this is just what we need. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I did wonder afterwards, if several folks are in a conference call, I can imagine it might get quite slow over dial-up.

However, at the moment, before I spread the gospel on all things Skype to friends and family, etc, I have no way of confirming this.

I'll attempt to test this more ASAP with other dial-up users.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

for the majority of personal calls jak im sure you would just be doing one on one anyway, so fine for all the friends unless they wanna conference

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I think it would also be great for the Masterclasses, BUT, the conference call is limited to just 5 people.

OK, that makes Phoenix, flex, AJ, Jak and me.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

im not sure how many other people were interested tbh, i know si was though :)
    i thought it was chat 'with' 5 other people, but i havnt checked this out :)

10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You could be right Phoenix. I just re-read the info and it states 'with up to 5 of your friends'.

So this could mean you and 5 others.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  11. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

OK, well a small point, but could I have everyones contact details :p

You can add me by the name 'flex22'

Make sure you write it down so you don't forget it or accidentally put any capitals in.
    Of course I know you's wouldn't, but some people, you wouldn't believe
    :rolleyes:

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Ok mine is nugget_cf

So I just add FlEx22, yeah?