Skype and SkypePro

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Armchair Pimp, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Armchair Pimp

Armchair Pimp Byte Poster

Folks.. not entirely sure I'm posting this in the right place.. BUT..

..anyone out there use Skype and more specifically SkypePro? If so, what do you think of it? Is it much to subscribe to and use (I find the uk site a little opaque when it comes to working out the costs without registering!).. is it worth getting if you don't currently know any other Skype users and use it for landline calls as well..

Basically I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible before taking a punt on it.. as usual in my family.. if I get it and it's good.. others will follow..!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL Found+Pract, A+
    WIP: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

We use Skype all the time at work because a lot of our staff are geographically dispersed, some are based internationally as well.

It's a great little application and is a good way to save money, provided the people you want to call have an internet connection and have skype to.

I haven't used the Pro edition and I don't really know what the difference is to the standard edition.

If your friends/family all have a reasonable internet connection (say 1MB plus) you shouldn't notice any difference in the call quality compared to a standard telephone line and the acll will cost you nothing! (except the charge for your landline and adsl which you are paying for anyway).

Be warned of actually dialling landlines and mobiles from skype though, because this can be more expensive than using your own landline or mobile, so in that respect skype is not always the best option.

You can get IP phones now that plug in to your pc, so if someone calls you on Skype the handset rings, as apposed to a ringtone blaring out of your pc speakers, which is also quite neat. I think the handsets are a bit pricey at the moment.

Skype also supports video calls, so if your friends/family have webcams then you can start a video conference which can also be fun. The quality of the video will be affected by the quality of your ADSL line.

If I was you I'd give it a go. It's free to download and free to use (to other skype users). The only pitfall is getting the people you want to talk to to use it as well. But once their all on board it can save you some money.

HTH 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I don't use Skype Pro... but the free Skype is great for Skype to Skype calls. I have both a Belkin wireless Skype phone and a 3 Skype phone (a mobile phone with Skype capability that allows me to take calls while out and about). I find both are excellent. My parents live in France, and being able to Skype them and them Skype me saves us loads of money...