Sky stuff

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, Mar 25, 2010.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Sky tv are starting to get on my nerves. I think they offer a decent service but i also think that we should be able to pick our own channels rather than the way they have you buy thier initial package so that you can qualify to get your sports and movies. Isnt it about time this changed?? I cant see my one letter doing much difference so ithought id askl people here for how to tackle this.

I dont pay for Sky anymore, i used to get it through sky player and while it was great for footie and movies, i never watched any of the other channels. And when it was a big match, then the connection would buffer all the time, and youd get the message that your connection had slowed down, but really it was a sky techniocal problem.

I always thought that the min dish and digi box was subsidised, so that after 12 months of paying £46.50 for evrything, you would then be elligible for cheaper services, as the box is paid for somewhat, however this isnt true and you still jhave to pay top whack etc.

Isnt it about time a bit of fairness was given back to the consumer, i personally hope that each club goes independantly and lets people subscribe to them, although those who still like travelling to the match, to pay through the nose for tickets, food, travel and drink, will have a something to say about it.

I think its needs to evolve more so that football is given back to the people who made it what it is today. I know Sky has contributed to the premiership and what it has become, but i think they are taking the piss somewhat.

Anyone got any opinions??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Big Bad JV

Big Bad JV Bit Poster

One option for football matches is to buy a non-sky specific decoder and decryption card and point your dish towards the hotbird satellite, that way you get all the premiership games, even ones not on sky. If you use a motorised dish you get even more choice. The downside is that you do need to pay out quite a bit of cash up front for the reciever, card and dish and you are at the mercy of update files for the decryption card being available, so it's not for the non techie, but when you learn the basics it becomes quite easy to do.

Do a google search for skywise tv and browse to the forum pages.

JV

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: CCNA, CCNA Voice
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ummm... isn't that illegal? :unsure

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I think it's a bit of grey area where satellite is concerned, more clear cut with cable.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

How is it grey? If you're decrypting signals that are otherwise sold, without the permission of the broadcaster, then you're pirating those signals... seems black and white to me.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

It's definately illegal

quick, someone sticky these two posts :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Id suppose it would be illegal seeing as sky have the rights etc, but i know of pubs that show the footie on iraqi tv etc and stuff like that.

Cheers for the heads up, going to have amooch now

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

And those pubs can be prosecuted for it because they have to have a special license to show broadcast tv\radio in public places. All it takes is the wrong person walking in and said pub can actually be closed down.

There is a line between what you can do legally and what you can't do, decrypting signals definitely crosses the line of it. There are countries that broadcast signals that you can watch but anything involving decrypting encrypted comms not using the vendors hardware is always going to be illegal.

FYI it's fully legal to have Sky TV in Luxembourg even though Sky won't allow you to have the box outside of the UK, why? because the government in Luxembourg has decreed that it's the human right of everyone in Luxembourg to be able to watch tv in their mother tongue, as such shops over in Luxembourg are legally allowed to sell Sky packages and install them for you, what will happen though is that the billing address will be based in the UK. Obviously Sky are aware that this goes on and there isn't a great deal that they can do about it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA