Skillstrain's Cisco CCNA - Updated Material

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Arroryn, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I just thought I'd put an update on the site, firstly for any Skillstrain students that don't know about the CCNA materials change, and secondly for general info.

I know TPs are generally bashed from here to kingdom-come about the shoddy quality of their materials; which is why the Skillstrain update for the CCNA new exams has surprised me somewhat.

Rather than sending you out the dreaded 'red folders', which at one point I feared would take over my bookshelf, they instead enrol you on the official Cisco Academy course.

The benefit of this is obvious (I hope!): it's Cisco's material. They can't go wrong. I think they still control your examinations with regards to giving you a final TMA before they will refund your exam, but the material is now, technically, faultless.

At first I thought this was great. Then I thought they'd copped out a little on the training contract as now, for my money, they put in nil effort as my provider for the duration of the CCNA and CCNP.

Does anyone have any idea what the Cisco Academy course generally costs? I have logged onto the site for the first time today, and it seems very well presented, very efficient and effective. Should be fun! I know that the OU charge £720 for their CCNA 'Academy' course, which is a 30 pointer towards a degree.

I am elated about the fact that I'm on Cisco's official course... I'm just a little deflated that, on Skillstrain's part, it does seem to be a complete cop out.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Sounds good Arro.

I think headache recommended this book if you want to read something from another author.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

its good it's all from cisco but whats annoyed me is it's all online and they're not sending out ant written material its all online.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

when i went on Microsoft training, all the pre-classroom official Microsoft learning was also online only.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Arroryn

Kind of agree with you there, Grim, but like Boyce says, I think a lot of courses now are moving towards being driven online.

How far have you got, Grim? Boyce - thanks for the link and extra-curricular advice.

6. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i think having online material is good because it allows video and audio but i still prefer reading from a book and means ill have to buy the CCNA material which deceives the point of paying them for the course.

hardly done any yet, working on my MCSE atm.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...which you could have signed up for at a community college for a fraction of the price. But what's done is done...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

that would be on the assumption she was able to make college...

grim

9. BosonMichael

Colleges don't typically have admissions requirements for "adult education" or "continuing education" classes, such as Cisco Academy, if you're not taking them for degree credit.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Even in a classroom training setting the lecturer just puts one slide after the other on the overhead projecture using Microsoft training kit study.

You'd get the occasional video talking about how NAT or PAT works from time to time and then the lecturer rambles on. Don't get me wrong some of these lecturers are of a high bred and caliber but sometimes you just think and know you need more for your money:biggrin.

It's almost like what do you pay all that money for? I'd say later to all that and get the study materials yourself with a bit of online help material here and there you're set to go.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

college usually requires you to attend for a couple of hours a week, i personally wouldn't be able to commit on a regular basis and is why i do it at home.

grim

12. BosonMichael

I thought by "make college" you meant "was allowed to attend by the university" rather than "could find the time to show up for classes". My mistake.

13. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

no probs, must be the language barrier lol

grim

14. Arroryn

Spot on with being able to show up for class - it takes me 3 hours a day round trip to get to work and back - the tranport network in my area is absolutely appalling!

I understand what you mean, BM, about the self studying - you hear about it on CF enough :rolleyes::biggrin

I started with Skillstrain for my own reasons. With hindsight (and self belief...now) I could have easily self studied for what I have got and will achieve. But Skillstrain haven't done badly - and putting their students on the Academy course isn't 'doing us wrong'. It's just a swerve on their part of providing us with material (which, let's face it, tonnes of people say is crap anyway!)

Once I've finished with Skillstrain, the 'difference' between their outlay on my exam costs, material costs and so forth will be completed by the money spent 'if' I had had to travel to college and back every week. Every cloud has a silver lining, you miserable buggers :tongue

15. BosonMichael

It can never be said enough.

...except for charging you more for something you could have gotten for less. 8)

But that's bizness! :twisted:

16. Arroryn

It certainly is, and understanding that is possibly why I've always been on the optimistic side on the studies.

Besides, I've only got CCNA and CCNP to do with them now. I'll be self studying for my MCDST, CCDA, CCDP, Project+, Prince2 (or PMP)... for starters... 8)

17. BosonMichael

Heh... Arro wants to be a PiMP. 8)

18. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Where is headache away? noticed he hasn't been around or posted lately. Ping headache:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  19. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

For information - their 'updated' CCNP course is also just the cisco Academy stuff. And a copy of the Cisco Press exam guide books. You don't get what you have paid for in terms of tutor support, a structured training programme with assessments and tutor feedback, nor live (internet) classes, which aren't part of academy online courses.

For CCNP they are still sending out the red folders as well - I'm amazed they've stopped that for CCNA. Have they said what will happen about the live labs?

The red folders were in any event bought in from another training company, I don't know why the updated materials aren't being sourced through that same provider (http://www.sunsetlearning.com/) - except that it's cheaper for ST to do it this way.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+