SkillsTrain

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mummy2babybear, Nov 30, 2005.

1. mummy2babybear

mummy2babybear New Member

Hi, Please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong area...(newbie).

Think I'll start from the beginning. I contacted Skills Train as I would like to train in bookkeeping and accoounts. They contacted me saying someone would be out to me today to have a chat. Now I thought that it would be just that...a CHAT!!

The guy turns up today, talks to me about the course etc..*sounding good I thought* then gets onto the prices. Gonna cost me £2,500 to do the course and before I knew what was going on he had me signed up and handing over a cheque for £50.

I have just spoken to an Accountant friend who has told me to pull out if I can as it sounds like a right rip off and there is now way you can do everything they say you will in the time allocated.

Does anyone know if/how I can pull out now?? I really don't want to lose £2.500!!!!

Please help me.

2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Look in the terms and conditions you should I think by law have a cooling off period. Ring them ASAP and say you want to cancel and the cheque returned. You can cancel the cheque at your bank for a fee but I would ring them first.

Hope this helps

Michael

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

write them to cancel. Read the contract to see if there's a cooling off period and exercise your rights under it.

I'd not cancel the cheque as you've signed the contract and as far as I know, cancelling the cheque now could lead to accusations of signing it under false pretences.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  4. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

..............edited.............

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  5. mummy2babybear

Thank you. I think you do get a 7day cooling off period. I will write a letter now to them and explain. I will not cancel the cheque as yet until I know for sure that I can have my money back.

6. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Don't forget to send the letter registered delivery at the very least!

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  7. mummy2babybear

Ok, the T&C's say

The student will have the right to terminate a course, providing he/she returns all the course materials together with written cancellation within 7 days of signing the agreement, thus ensuring there is no confusion between the student and college.
    Clause 6 above is applicable only tostudents who are not on credit terms. Written cancellation must be sent by recorded delivery. Cancellation by telephone is not acceptable.
    If the student meets all the conditions in clause 6 of the general conditions, the college will retain a nominal charge of £45.00 to cover its administration costs and expenses.

I dont think I am on a credit agreement but how would I find out. Think I'm gonna have to phone them and try to stay strong lol.

8. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

I don't mean to sound rude or undully harsh but, what in the world possessed you to sign a contract for £2500 for a course you did not do your homework on? Would it have been so difficult to say no to the man?

And by the way, this is an IT certification forum, not an accounting certs forum.

9. mummy2babybear

Its ok..I know it was silly of me. I purely intended to know about the course and the prices. I thought that it would just be a chat as I had been told by someone from Skills Train when they phoned.
    I should have said no.

Sorry obviously got it all wrong. Thanks for all ur help anyways.

10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

You will have by law a 7 day cooling off period. This is the minimal mandatory amount.

The sales guy should have told you it was a finance agreement; you probably gave him details for a card? This will be the account they take your money from on a monthly basis. The finance is arranged through a company called Clyesdale; it would be worth contacting them also. Provide your name and address to check if any accounts have been set up yet in your name.

The only way I can see you wouldn't be on a finance agreement is if you've provided £2500 up front.

7 days is from contract signing, inclusive of non-working days, I am sure. If you want to cancel, send recorded/special delivery ensuring next day before your postman collects today.

HTH

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. michael78

Go easy on her arisen, some of these salesmen are pushy, I had a salesman try to sell me a course and he was persistant but I was firm and said I'd think about it. I can easily see how people sign up without looking into it first.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  12. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Well i'm sorry if i was a tad strong with my criticism, but i really can't stand pushy salesmen, and i think a huge part of the problem are people who let them push them around and get away with it.

In my opinion, if you've said "i'll think about it" or "I don't want to sign up right now" "All i wanted was the info" etc repeatedly and the salesman is still pushing, that is just plain rudeness, which justifies rudeness in return. Show them the door and some colorful expressions i say.

And what is up with telephone salesmen? sheesh. Tell them no 10 times and they're still pushing. Straight hang up in their faces.

13. michael78

Lol I do see your point, maybe having a cattle prod next to you would make them think twice...:biggrin

14. mummy2babybear

Arroryn - yes I gave him card details but he said it was to check to see if I was eligible for help. And before I knew it I was signing up. I know I was silly and should have said no.

15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Rach,

You won't be the first and you wont be the last to have been taken in by the sales pitch.

Hopefully you can pull out and no harm done

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  16. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

They do not arrange a direct debit for you, so it may be that they pass on your details automatically. I'll PM you some contact details for Clysedale, so that you can try and iron things out with them if finance has been arranged.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  17. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I have to disagree, cancel the cheque, there is always a cooling off period by law, as already stated.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  18. Newbie

Newbie New Member

I filled out a an online form with these guys and this morning got a call from a woman wanting me to agree to have and "advisor" (salesman) come round to my house, i dont know about the rest of you but i was realy surprised they wanted to come to me and not have me visit them, my imediate reaction was "oohhhh hell no" then the woman quick as a flash turned ultra pushy on me saying "you can go with him somewhere else like a library to talk" over and over again, eventualy my alarm bells were giving me a headache so i cut her off.

As a general rule im highly suspicious of anyone who wont give me a rough price for their course over the phone, the only reason i can see for wanting to do it in person is so they can confuse you into not using your better judgement.

Remember its not your fault at all, it may seem obvious to us that it was a bad idea to write a cheque but the guy who you were talking to makes a living out of sweet talking people into signing on the dotted line.

I left an interview with a different training provider last week who convinced to get a loan for 8K to pay for a 40 day MCDST, MCSA & MCSE course, i realised later what a total scam it was but the saleman had managed to get me totaly convinced.
    I think any salesman will tell you the sky is green and the sea is filled with custard if it will get you to sign a triple figure check, the problem is they say it so well you'll be running to the beach with a spoon!

Certifications: Bronze Swimming Certificate
    WIP: A+ & Silver Swimming Certificate