Skillstrain

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by AdamBlackshaw, Nov 10, 2008.

1. AdamBlackshaw

AdamBlackshaw New Member

:eek:I am Quite worried about the course i am doing with skillstrain i am doing CompTIA A+ N+ but am not sure if the coursework they have sent me is even in date does anyone know if the 2006 certification would get me anywhere knowdays becuase if not i am wasting thousands of pounds on nothing.:eek:

2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Here's the CompTIA site regarding A+ certification.

If your material doesn't map to the objectives of the exams specified, you've probably been sent out of date materials (whether this is on purpose or not could possibly be discussed in a thread at the top of the page...)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The A+ was changed a while ago but you should have the 2006 objectives, check the link Arroryn posted to see if your material is up to date. THe N+ is being revised in January so it maybe wise to contact skillstrain to ask if they will be providing you with new study material.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

Is it a booklet ring binder manual thing? and cheapy magazine freebie looking CD-Rom for the A+ ? If so, it'd be the same garbage I got from them. Their training materials are poor... But if I were you I'd do what I done, and CANCEL immediatly. You'll regret it if you don't trust me!!!!

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Adam, rather than "reinventing the wheel", you might want to search this forum for the name of your provider. There have been plenty of discussions on this topic already and you'll probably benefit from reading what others have said. Thanks.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

But it's also the same material that I got, and I got my A+ and N+ with them without an issue. That's why I started the thread on training provider perceptions. Just because you evaded the course at the first hurdle, doesn't mean their material wasn't up to scratch - you never even gave it a chance.

Telling someone that they'll "regret it if they don't trust you" is scaremongering, when you don't even truly know the kind of course that provider had to offer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. The_Dark_Side

The_Dark_Side Bit Poster

I would recommend that anyone has a full review of the forums or full search through google before applying for any course. There seems to me a large number of people jumping in and getting burnt.

8. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

He seems inexperienced, and fairly recent to IT training and so on, and these companys take advantage of that inexperience, and quite commonly leave yet another young individual in debt if he/she can't pay, and a lot of the times, they don't because they were inexperienced, and aren't properly discussed through the whole course by these fake course advisers. They're salesman, I just wish they'd label themselves that, but hay, it is a "business" afterall

Others may have had good service form them and good for them, but the problem I have with them is that they start of being misleading and dishonest, and fabricate on certain issues while brushing other things under the carpet - as with the majority of merciless salesmen. This comes with their job promises to their little evaluation testings to name a few. They twist truths, and I've said it once before - I wouldn't like to put my apirations, goals or academic dreams into the hands of people who are so dishonest from the get go. First impressions count for a lot, and mine wasn't very pleasing, but I had myself partly to blame for that for allowing myself to sign thinking that I could simply cancel. Little did I know they sneakily managed to get a debit card payment taken off only 2 days after I signed the dotted line (& I signed it late at night)

All I will say is - it may be for you, it may not, but NEVER sign anythign there and then. Take your time research it, double check the small print on the contracts - all of them

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  9. AdamBlackshaw

AdamBlackshaw New Member

I would like to say thankyou to all that had post replies and to others who post after this date i have recently recivied a E-mail from CompTIA that my course book is in date. Even Though i have had this confimation i am seriously considering canceling the course due to i have recently acepted aprentiships for the same qaulifications and they is alot of interest around me.:biggrin

10. dingy

dingy Bit Poster

I did my A+ and N+ with this lot and wouldn't recommend them to anybody.
    I really wish I'd just bought a few good books and worked through it on my own, which is more or less what I ended up doing anyway.
    I could have bought a lot of Smarties with the money I gave them though to be fair the helpdesk people were very nice and helpful on the few occasions I had to call them.

Certifications: A+,N+,MCDST
    WIP: Relax