Skillstrain

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by pinkfluff, Aug 22, 2007.

1. pinkfluff

pinkfluff Bit Poster

Hello, I decided yesterday that I don't want to carry on with the CIW Web Designer course with them because I cannot afford the monthly payments and I think self teaching myself would be much much cheaper!

Anyway, my finance company said I cannot cancel it and still have to pay whether I study or not.
    I'm not happy, I hate this course already and the stuff is outta date, anybody help me? Is there anything I can do? :(

I dont even know if I can lower the payments. I'm too annoyed to ring them.

Certifications: -
    WIP: CIW
  2. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

dont know if theres a lot you can do, once you go past the cooling off period. Only advice I can give you is perhaps have a word with trading standards or a Solicitor

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm afraid you'll have to ring them, Pinkfluff.

As you've passed your conctractural 'cooling off' period, the only way you will even vaguely be able to get your money back is to do their course, and sit the exams - thus getting some money back through exam refunds - or try to get the money back by saying the course was grossly missold to you. Keeping in mind that Skillstrain will probably have much better lawyers than you might be able to afford.

I'm afraid 'I don't like the course' wouldn't stand you very well. Send them an email saying that the material doesn't map to the exam objectives, and point out flaws in the material. This, to me, seems to be the only way you will be able to get a refund.

As I already said, the alternative is to stick it out. If you're studying from another book anyway, and you still want to do the course, then it will be a simple matter of completing their TMAs and sending them your certificate when you pass - they don't actually need to know that you haven't read their course folders.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would seek advice if I were you.

If I was paying for a service and the service did not meet my needs or wasnt what I was led to believe it would be then I would stop paying them and see a solicitor and/or trading standards.

I think if you said to trading standards that the course isnt what you were told it was going to be because you have been fed a load of BS then I think trading standards would become invloved (they would do it of their own back without any expense incurred to you)

You probably wouldnt get back what you have paid but the dirct debits would stop.

If it came to it you may have to see a solicitor which would cost you and that cost could be a lot.

Also see your bank and see what they say about you cancelling your payments, sometime banks can be understanding and will not pay out if you can provide a reasonable case (solicitors letter etc)

Good luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Just noticed you said the stuff is out of date, if you can prove that to a solicitor and/or trading standards then you should have a case and be able to win, but seek advice I am no solicitor

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

read the contract you signed to see what it says about cancelling

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

The Skillstrain contracts are pretty tight and clear about tie-ins and your cooling off period. Her only chance is to prove that the material is out of date, and wouldn't allow her to pass the course.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, that's why we typically suggest going the self-study route first, before tying yourself to an expensive (and often unnecessary) contract. You'll likely be forced to pay whether or not you continue with the course. :(

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

In what way?
    CIW exams are versioned, so as long as the material you have is for the correct version of the exam then you can't really say it's out of date.

That's not the same as saying it's a bit 'dated' though. Even the latest version of CIW refers to some slightly older technology and techniques...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

I am studying for my CIW foundations with scheidegger training which is delivered in conjuction with skills train. I did not really "like" the course material or how it was delivered at first but I told myself that if I am paying for it I might aswell use it! even if you only use certain material for reference to aid you whilst you use self study methods. If your course material is dated then you should defintley let your feelings known to them as that is out of order, but on a broader specrtum look at it as a lesson learnt and channel your anger into positive energy and get kickass exam results!!!!!!!!

Good luck anyway and keep the faith

C :D

Certifications: Cisco IT Essentials,
    WIP: IT degree, CIW (Web), A+, N+
  11. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I've got to agree here. The course material does actually directly refer to the exam. IMHO, when dealing with IT you have to expect that the materials will not keep up with the technology, otherwise they would have to change the material every couple of months. If, on the other hand you can prove that you are not being helped in any way, then you have a case. The point of going with a training provider is, after all, for the tutor support they offer and if you are not receiving any support then you must complain to them about it. Ask what their complaints procedure is as a first step, and take it from there. :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)