Skillstrain CCNP

Discussion in 'A+' started by rwilmot, May 25, 2006.

1. rwilmot

rwilmot Nibble Poster

Has anyone taken the CCNP with skillstrain, if so did you take the A+ and N+ exams? The reason I ask is because I feel that the course content isn't enough to pass the test! I've been looking at practice tests and have been sh**ting bricks :( .. I have the oppertunity to take the tet in the next 6 months.

Would anyone like to see some of the content? I can upload/scan pages if needed?

Certifications: Village Idiot Award
    WIP: working towards everything..
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Have you seen the material for the CCNP yet?
    If you are referring to the A+ and N+ material, they will only cover the basics of networking.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. zoltar

zoltar Bit Poster

I would say don't go with Skillstrain, or Scheidegger as they are otherwise known. I am currently doing an MCSA with them. I would not recommend them to anyone. They take you through all the courses, A+, N+, then the whole of MCSA, you don't take any exams until you finish everything. I told them i wanted to take the A+ and N+ at least, so i can start looking for work, having at least these, they told me all exams are taken when you finish the whole course. I took these exams by myself (I also paid for some online courses from cbtdirect, as i felt that only the courses they supplied were not enough, and i passed A+, N+ and 70-0218 and i asked Skillstrain for reimbursement, as their fees cover everything, including exams. So, probably before i will finish their course i will probably already be an MCSA. Unfortunately for me, there's no way back, but i strongly advise everybody not to go with Skillstrain.
    You have been warned!

Certifications: Comptia A+, Network+, MCSA, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. rwilmot

rwilmot Nibble Poster

No I haven't seen the materials yet, only the structure, which isn't very helpful.. Its costing me £3500 and I have just read another thread from someone that isn't very happy with skillstrain, its making me wonder if I made the right choice!? And your right, they do only cover the basics. They have said that I can do the tests but how can I pass them if they don't give me the right content????!! I suspect they know this aswell..

5. rwilmot

rwilmot Nibble Poster

thanks for your comments Zoltar. Have you got any notes etc that you could donate to help me with the A+ and N+??? I feel like smashing my head on a wall..

6. rwilmot

rwilmot Nibble Poster

Actually, has anyone got any notes they would like to donate or recommend?

7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

rwilmot - you have been a member of this site for some time not although you done your first post today - have you not looked at this site before today?

edit: looking at your profile, your a learndirect IT Tutor... You must of come across Skillstrain before, or at least heard of them...

8. rwilmot

rwilmot Nibble Poster

only briefly - i will be looking into this site a bit more when i get home as i am currently at work. I take it from that comment that I will answer my own question and find lots of useful notes sites?

9. rwilmot

rwilmot Nibble Poster

Actually no, i'd never heard of them. I even did some research on them! But as fate would have it, i never stumbled across this site for comments on them..

10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The key to successful study is not to use others notes, but to make your own. People learn in different ways, and using others notes may only serve to confuse.

You should be making notes as you are covering the material and when you are struggling with concepts posting your questions on forums like these, or googling them.

There is no easy path in IT and it is a long and difficult world where the learning never stops.

8)

11. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

There's a few members on this board that will confirm that you can take your exams before the end of the course and SkillsTrain/Scheidegger/etc will pay for them in full.

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  12. rwilmot

rwilmot Nibble Poster

thanks for the input Lord Deckard

13. rwilmot

rwilmot Nibble Poster

aha I have found Learndirect courses to help with A+ 2003! amazing, i never knew they existed. they cover hardware & OS Fundamentals, IT Troubleshooting and Preventative Maintenance and tech support! Being a Learndirect tutor has its perks i guess..

14. zoltar

zoltar Bit Poster

Maybe there are, but I had a really big argument with them, and sent them a letter as well, after which i received a call from someone who spoke very nicely to me, explaining me that i can take the exams privately and then send them the receipts and they will reinburse me, but there is no way to take the exams with Scheidegger... And that is what i did.
    I know it's a late reply to your post, sorry.

Certifications: Comptia A+, Network+, MCSA, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP