SkillsTrain 9 week promise

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by philngems, Jul 11, 2007.

1. philngems

philngems Bit Poster

:ohmy Ok starting to get a little bit scared that the 9 week promise is not going to work out.. anyone know if its true and whatthe terms and conditions are.. i have rang skillstrain and they have not got back to me yet

Thanks

2. Fatwaz

Fatwaz Bit Poster

what 9 week promise?

WIP: CIW Foundations
  3. pinkfluff

pinkfluff Bit Poster

yeah, what you talking about?

Certifications: -
    WIP: CIW
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi Philngems,

We have a few active members here that are studying through Skillstrain - so as the others said, if you can clarify the '9 week promise' (which I haven't heard of... am with ST) then we'll tell you whether or not its likely to exist!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. philngems

philngems Bit Poster

Ok sorry i will explain. When i took out the ST course the salesman came round and gave me a promise of when i finsh the course and i pass my exams.. within 9 weeks of passing they will get me a job earning £25k. Since i got loads of bad feedback about ST so i rang them up to confirm the 9week promise and they did confirm it.. so i asked them for something in writing which i have not recieved.

There the 9 week promise

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well thats pretty obvious why they havent replied to your question in writing, because if they say all this in writing and it does not occurr then you can sue them.

Dont believe anyone who says we get you a job for 25k just for passing a course because thats bollocks.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I got one of ST's flyers today:

Earn up to:£500 - £700 per week by doing Comptia/CISCO/Microsoft

You could be earning over £900 per week

"No formal qualifications or experience required" - ST

The list goes on, but be careful of the small print: the "Up to:", the "could", etc. If the offer is real, do a 9 week course and earn £25,000 straight away, then my BSc, my MCSE, MCSA, & my many years of working in IT, etc - which took years to get, was a big waste of time and money.

I'm not company bashing, but I do feel strongly against companies that use marketing ploys and displays IT as an easy world to get into by doing a 9 week course - it makes us look, that work in IT, uneducated :mad

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

Is that SkillsTrain or SkillStrain?:p

Seriously though; Are you worried that you won't pass the exam or that you won't win a high paid job at the end of it?

Certifications: A+ C Programming
    WIP: Network+
  9. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Some of their courses do come with a sort of job-guarantee, but the detail varies. Phone and speak to liaison and ask for a copy of any guarantee you have been promised. NO-ONE will get you a job in 90000 weeks - but for some courses, if you haven't found a job in x weeks, that pays a minimum of £y they will refund the course fees. You need to clarify what applies to your course, and make sure you have it in writing, including all the small print. Of course, you have to have completed the course, passed all the assignments, really really looked for a job etc etc. For example, I signed on for the CCNP course, and the deal is 3 months to get a job (that is, I get the job, no-one does it for me) that pays £25k or a monthly refund of course fees from then on. I think the MCSE course has something similar? Not sure about CIW.
    Hope that helps.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  10. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

I dont think PHILNGEMS meant doing a "9 week course". Skill's train said they would get philngems a job WITHIN 9 weeks after completeing the course (exams)

Tell you what?.........i sit on this forum almost every night to read the new posts and i dont stop hearing how bad skills train is. It's a shame people dont visit this forum first before spending loads of money on a training provider who only feeds you with false promises and study material you could probally gather up yourself! It's a shame we couldn't stick all our old study material on a secret web site for us all to swop about amongst our selfs so we dont have to spend thousands of pounds on TP's???

Anyone got any thoughts..............?:blink

It was just a thought.:biggrin

Certifications: CIW Professional
  11. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

This forum also isn't here to serve as a portal for Training Provider-bashing.

I know these companies use awful marketing techniques to get new students on board, but at the end of the day, they are a company and they want to make profit; to make profit they need to make sales. They will target specific groups, as they know they will be able to get sales in that area; ie, unemployed, or those with no formal existing qualifications that don't have the esteem and/or funding to go through a college.

I'm not saying TPs aren't expensive; my stance on this is well known on this board. But if you sit through the whole of the course, you will get a good chunk of it refunded in exam fees. Yes, some of the material is shoddy; but even MMAIO texts have an errata section on a website. I defy anyone to buy one single text to read up on for an exam. It's too narrow-minded a view.

Most people who get 'duped' always seem to be 'duped' because they see the salaries they *could* earn emblazoned on leaflets and fliers. They do *NO* research and jump in to taking out a £3K or £4K loan. Then, when they START the course, it's panic stations, as reality hits them that any branch of IT is a difficult concept to learn.

It's simple, it really is:

DO your research
    NO they can't guarantee you a job (God, the devil and davy jones between them couldn't guarantee you one)
    NO the salaries they mention aren't right
    YES IT is complicated
    YES there will be a lot to learn

but, YES it is a damn satisfying area to work in.

There. Rant over.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  12. philngems

philngems Bit Poster

Just to clarify.. its 9 weeks after passing the course exams and if i dont get a job earning 25k then they refund the course. I do wish i read up on the course b4 hand but i still think i would have done the course.

After this course i am going to learn skills that i can build on o support my family and have a good life. I come from a background of call centers and factories so i have the determination to do well and i will. I will make my own luck and i will do well.

Good idea about the private site will all the infomation on.

When i finish i am going to build a site with all my notes on for ppl to download.

:biggrin

13. Fatwaz

Fatwaz Bit Poster

unfortunately there is no promise,the salesman has mislead you.i would bet a million pounds that no one has gotten a job through skillstrain's so called job seeker scheme.all they do is provide you with the ciw course materials and leave you to it.if you complete the course and take the ciw exams and pass then well done if you dont for any reason oh well never mind keep paying us the money for another year please:blink

WIP: CIW Foundations