skills train A+ certificate ??

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by werty, Feb 5, 2007.

1. werty

werty New Member

I started the A+, N+, MCSA with skills train.

I want to know if I complete these exams would I get a genuine qualification/certificate??
    eg comptia a+ certificate,
    comptia n+ certificate,
    MCSA ... a Microsoft Qualification/certificate ?

Or would i just get skills train certficates?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Im not sure on how companies like this work, but my guess would be they'd teach you A+ and when your ready, you'll take the exam and get the A+ Certificate. Then you'd move onto N+ and the same procedure.

Do check with your tutor if you can as they'll know for sure.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

When you complete the course, you will automatically get a Skillstrain (Scheidegger) certificate.

Then you will have to book your exams through Thompsons or Prometric. Once you have sat the exam, Skillstrain will reimburse you. They will only pay for the first sitting of the exam; if you fail, you have to pay for a resit. When you have passed the public exam, you will get the exam board certificate.

HTH.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

And bare in mind that their course cert, like any other course cert, is not really saying anything other than you have done the course. Hence they are not really of value. Passing the related exam and getting a proper recognised certification is where the real value lies.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. fairgame

fairgame New Member

You don't have much of a chance of getting a job without experience. Think, part of you already knows that.
    Those certs are well known and lots of people out there have them, sorry my friend

6. AndrewPS

AndrewPS New Member

"You can't get a job without experience. You can't get experience without a job" If I hear that one more time, I swear I'm going to hurt somebody! How does anyone ever get a job? Any ideas how you're supposed to get experience?

And what value are all these private educations that provide no experience? Are they even worth the money?

7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

There are entry level jobs out there, they are hard to find but they are out there, everyone has to start somewhere and by getting A+ it shows the potential employer that you have already made the effort and have the basic knowledge needed.

Keep your head up and keep plugging away at it, it wont happen overnight but give it time and effort and you'll make it to where you want to be... :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

You have absolutely NO experience? In anything? Were you born yesterday?

Everyone has experience in something. When they want experience, it's not always in IT. Have a search around the forums for 'job experience' or 'entry level' and check out the advice. I passed A+ with Skillstrain and had no IT experience - but I had customer service experience, and used that to land my First Line role.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

To answer your first question, as stated above, you CAN get a job without experience. They're called entry-level jobs - jobs that require no experience so you CAN enter the field. Problem is, most newbie techs don't want to work an entry-level job... they want to administer a network or implement security from the get-go. And they end up banging their heads against the wall for the better part of several months trying to get a job that requires real-world experience.

To answer your second question, in my opinion, no, they're not worth the money. The large majority of them tell their students, "Here are the skills you need to get a job in IT. All you need to do is take these classes and get these certifications and companies will bang down your door to give you a job." Then they proceed to get their students certified in a wide variety of technologies that they'll likely never see in an entry-level job, other than the A+, MCDST, and Net+. The student then goes out into the "real world" armed with a mess of Cisco/Oracle/security certifications expecting to get a job working with those technologies, when those jobs require experience.

I don't blame the newbie tech - they believe the hype that's thrown at them. And by looking at the online job search engines, what newbie tech is going to desire an A+ PC tech job paying $20,000 over a Cisco router admin job paying $60,000, especially when they've been told that they're qualified to work on Cisco equipment?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. runiu

runiu Nibble Poster

Hi

Can you tell me how much you paid for the course at SkillsTrain??

Cheers

Certifications: A+, MCTS: Vista
    WIP: MCITP