Sit tight or flight ?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by daft_togger, Sep 6, 2009.

1. daft_togger

daft_togger Nibble Poster

Some time back now, I began a post looking for tips on dealing with poor management.

Well guess what, I still have the same managers and as time has gone on, I still do not feel I get the right level of support I need to really develop well in the role. The issue was experience, and this has been improving and confidence has grown. Mixed with my MCSE studies, I am now sure my career will stay on the IT track.

But I am finding it difficult, because I have a team leader who only sees things in black and white. He is also far from a leader and his people skills are simply not there. He prefers to work on his own with no interruptions. Sadly though life is not like that if you manage unpredictable things such as people.

Go to his manager and air things....mmm no, as he's soft and also a supporter. Ok, go to the next manager up.....heck that's worse, his people skills are also in dire supply. So I have no where to go to get advice internally.

So, do I sit tight for now and keep my CV dusted down ready to rock for when the market for jobs improves. Continue with my exams....of course, I'm doing that for me, not them !

Just that his recent treatment of me has been grinding me down somewhat and I'm having to maintain focused for my next exam.......only on Friday there, I approached him for help and I could see in his face he did not want to help...instead he just picked me up on my approach and pointed out things I should have checked prior to approaching him.......hardly the way to manage someone in a positive and constructive way !

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
    Certifications: 70-290, 70-620
    WIP: 70-291
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

So are you listening to his advice, or are you treating the encounter as a case of "he just didn't want to deal with me right now"? Listening to your story, it unfortunately sounds like the latter. You need to learn from those who have "been there, done that", just like I listened to my network admin coworker when I was a systems admin. I learned a great deal from him.

That said, if it really is unbearable there, there's no magic trick to fixing your problem. In truth, there's only one way to change your situation: find other employment.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!