Single Google search uses 1,000 servers

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Single Google search uses 1,000 servers

Google has reportedly admitted that a single Google search engine query uses 1,000 servers in 0.2 seconds.

The admission by Google fellow Jeff Dean, in a keynote session at WSDM 2009, may alarm those campaigning for greener datacentres.

According to Jeff Dean, while both search queries and processing power have gone up by a factor of 1,000 over ten years, latency has gone down from around 1000ms to 200ms.

Another significant change, said Dean, has been holding the complete search index in memory. This has resulted in 1,000 machines being used to handle a single query, compared to just 12 previously.

This revelation may be embarrassing for Google, which has defended its ecological record in the past, claiming a single Google query takes just 0.0003KWh of energy and that its datacentres are the world's most efficient.

Read the rest of the article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      :rolleyes:

One, a server doesn't use a lot of power in 0.2 seconds.
      Two, I'm pretty sure those thousand servers aren't just handling a single search query in those two-tenths of a second. Multitasking FTW.
    2. Pheonicks56
      Pheonicks56
      could you imagine the query line if these servers didn't multitask and each search took 0.2 seconds? 100s of thousands of requests are made every minute on these servers you would have to wait hours to find anything.