Simulators for CCNA

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by kevicho, Apr 29, 2008.

1. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Hey guys n gals,

I am looking at the following product, http://www.routersim.com/CCNA6_Home.html , and wondered if anyone had used this or something similar, for their CCNA studies.

The situation is id prefer to go down a software route for my CCNA, as i spend a lot of time travelling or not at home, so wont have access to physical hardware as much as id like, and i think ive plugged in most cables in the past (and installed a couple of modules a few years ago) so i dont think the hardware side would be of too great a benefit in the overall scheme of things (i used to work for a network kit reseller so played around with switches, routers and ios on occasion so I have a little exposure).

Anyways ive looked at the reviews on amazon for the sybex version and it seems that it is missing a lot of functionality, which this seems to have so im tempted, but to be honest id prefer opinions before i shell out 100 odd quid (229 dollars to the americans in the audience).

Will keep searching but any replies would be most welcome

Thanks

Kevin

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  2. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I've heard good things about RouterSim, but I've also heard it's very restrictive. You'll probably only be able to use CCNA specific commands. In other words, only commands being taught in the CCNA will be accepted by the software.

You may want to consider a more advanced sim or rack rental (interacting with real equipment).

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Just about all of the CCNA simulators will be "missing functionality"... because they contain only the commands that are relevant to the CCNA. Same is true with Boson's NetSim product. To get more functionality, you'd have to get one of the CCNP simulators, or better yet, real devices. Obviously, real devices will cost more than a simulator will, but that'll be the only way you get ALL of the functionality.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You can also purchase the real hardware router i.e. like the 16xx series from ebay and use the real stuff with real commands that are not restrictive.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. paulbarron

paulbarron New Member

A net search will find details on one of the following

Boson Netsim (7.0.0.2 / 7.0.0.6)
    RouterSIm (5.0.0.9)
    Dynamips (Dynagen / DNS-3)
    Cisco's Packet Tracer 4.11

RouterSim and Packet Tracer are more than adequate for the CCNA with Packet Tracer being very enjoyable to use. If you are adventurous and considering future courses explore the Dynamips option - where you can load actual IOSs into a simulator and operate as if using the real thing.

Hope this helps

6. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Please note that following the above advice is illegal. Also, if you downloaded the Boson NetSim product from a Torrent site, you'd be stealing from me and my coworkers. I don't steal from you, please don't steal from me.

EDIT: I see that Paul has changed his post to remove the "torrent" portion of his original post. My comment above is directed towards his original post.

7. BosonMichael

Unfortunately, Cisco's licensing prohibits use of their IOS outside of their hardware: Network World link, link to Cisco's licensing

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I will have a look into these, but will be going the legit route, as im a contractor all this goes on expenses anyways, plus i may want support for the software and access to updates etc

I read about the Dynamips option but wasnt aware it was illegal/against ciscos terms, i guess they dont follow Microsofts lead in giving away stuff to future techs and students lol

Thanks for all the help so far guys, its most appreciated

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
  9. BosonMichael

1) Dynamips itself isn't illegal... only using Cisco's IOS outside of the hardware is against their licensing terms. Not sure what someone would use Dynamips for without an IOS... :p just sayin. ;)

2) Microsoft doesn't blindly give away stuff to techs... last I checked, I pay $330 a year for an Action Pack subcription. And MSDN costs quite a bit more.

10. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2008/feb08/02-18GSDPR.mspx

Petty they dont make more of their stuff cheaper to pro's as they are the ones keeping their software on networks, but business is business

11. BosonMichael

If you're not a high school or college student, you don't qualify. Thus, not all "future techs" qualify. In addition, it's mostly developer tools... no Windows XP, no Windows Vista, no Exchange, no Office. Sure, Microsoft is taking a step in the right direction... but I don't want to paint an overly rosy picture of their efforts, which currently target a very small portion of their "learning audience".

All that said, I don't mind paying the money for the Action Pack or for TechNet Direct. They are well worth the yearly subscription rate, so props go out to Microsoft for offering them.

12. Mell

Mell Bit Poster

Hi, a bit late for a response I know butt...

I used 'routersim' extensively for my CCNA as I had never actually touched a cisco router. I was learning from scratch and as other have stated that the command set is limited to certain aspects.

Whilst the software is very good and easy to use I often came across bugs. The worrying side was that it raised doubts with me in that I wasn't sure if I didn't understand something or that the software was at fault.

I erred on the side of caution and sent full descriptions, diagrams etc to ROUTER sim and they confirmed what I had found. To their credit they addressed the bugs and released updates about each month.... but as my knowledge increased I found more bugs... which too were addressed.

Ironically, I went on a course where I could touch real 'routers' and.... I found bugs in them too which made the instructor update the IOS levels....

I tried the BOSON sim and the earlier one I didn't like, but the new one (that was approx 2005/2006) was very impressive....

My point is that sims can be good but always remember that routers they aint.

Mell

Certifications: CCNA CCNP MCP MCSA MCSE
    WIP: open to suggestions
  13. BosonMichael

The most recent version, NetSim 7, was released late last year. Thanks for the compliment!

You are correct... simulators are just that - simulators. They're not real routers; they can only simulate a routed environment. That's why, even though I believe we at Boson have a fine product, I always recommend getting real gear... IF you can afford it. If you can't, a simulator is a worthwhile compromise.

14. Unemployed Diogenes

Unemployed Diogenes Nibble Poster

I also study for CCNA.
    I use Packet Tracer 4.11 and can almost everything simulate what i need for the cert. Me don't want to buy a real cisco router just for learning about TCP/IP routering

I do the CCNA because I want to understand the concepts of TCP/IP routering very good for in the future.

Certifications: A+, Bachelor IT
    WIP: CCNA
  15. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Ive gone real hardware, doesnt take up too much room, and the experience of plugging in cables will give me the edge in future ;)

Also having access to ALL commands swung it for me.

Plus I can read, note and memorise commands while on the road, so little time is wasted.