simulator

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by sleepydeepeyed, Sep 11, 2007.

1. sleepydeepeyed

sleepydeepeyed New Member

hi to all,
    im looking for cisco simulator with Layer3 or multilayer..tnx

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

My opinion would be quite biased, as I work for a company who creates a high-quality Cisco simulator. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

The only problem with the Boson simulator is that it is only licensed for a year. I used one of the earlier versions and it really torqued me off when they pulled that on me. When I bought it that limitation wasn't there, then they changed their licensing scheme in the middle of the stream and my software went away. Well over $100 down the tube along with my plans, as I was planning to use it to keep my Cisco skills sharp after I got my CCNA as I couldn't afford a half dozen routers and as many switches.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. BosonMichael

Hm? I don't think that limitation's there... the only "year" limitation I've ever heard of is something like free upgrades for a year... if you like, I can see what I can dig up. I've had a friend using one of Boson's old NetSim products for years.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. ffreeloader

Well, I rebuilt my machine and didn't reinstall it right away, and then couldn't install it again so I called Boson. I was told the license for my copy was expired, and that if I wanted to use their product again I'd just have to buy another copy. I pitched a fit, but it did me no good whatsoever.

I can't use it now as I don't have a Windows machine left in house, so it's as good as useless now. Besides, I've long ago deleted the installer..... ***Shrugs*** Oh, well. I just wanted people to know that what happened to me might happen to them too. Overall, I was pretty dissatisfied with Boson's customer service(I thought the product itself was very useful). But, that's been almost 3 years ago so it's just water under the bridge now.

6. BosonMichael

Ownership has changed since then... Boson was sold about 2 years ago, and the focus has shifted to higher quality products and better customer service. So things have definitely changed for the better at Boson. :)

If you're ever interested in getting your product restored to you, just say the word. I've already talked with management here and confirmed that your license rights should still be valid. :)

7. ffreeloader

That Boson changed hands can only be a good thing as far as the product and how they treat people is concerned.

And, thanks, if I ever have a Windows machine, or decide to try to get it running under Wine I'll let you know. The problem I see is I haven't a clue as to what release I was using, so how would I get the same product again? You guys still keep 3-4 year old technology around?

8. BosonMichael

I'm sure there's a record of your purchase, which should indicate the version you had... will just need your name and e-mail address. As for whether we have that version available anymore... all I have been told is that we will attempt to make everything "right" with your license, should you ever desire it. :)

9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've used boson simulators in class for the CCNA course and I also used the actual routers and switches. I also think that the simulator is well done. I know that I passed the course because I did labs using the simulator and it was pretty accurate.

In the future if I decide to go for CCNA then I will definitely consider getting the simulator.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. ffreeloader

Thanks.

11. ciscopaul

ciscopaul Bit Poster

You may be better of with a few hours on live racks if you want to do anything other than basic routing VLANS etc because sims have a limited command set. I think rack time comes in at just a couple of bucks per hour and these guys are good, I use them all the time:

www.mindtechcom.com

If you must use a sim I would check out Gamibts which is pretty versatile:

http://www.gambitcom.com/site/products/

Hope it helps.

Paul

12. ffreeloader

That MIMIC Simulator Suite looks pretty sweet. (Sorry, just couldn't pass up the opportunity to use hononyms) The only problem I see with it is that they don't even list the price on that page so it must be really spendy. However, the list of features that it has is very impressive. I'd just about have to mortgage my soul to get it right now, so I'll just have to pass on it for the moment. However, I will file this bit of information away as it would be nice to rebuild my Cisco skills again when I have both the money and the time.

13. ciscopaul

ciscopaul Bit Poster

Hi,

The prices are clearly marked on the site. They start from $99 for the CCNA sim all the way up to an enterprise version for over $2000 but I don't think you would be needing that.

Thanks

14. ffreeloader

Ummm.... Well, I hate to be disagreeable this early in the morning, but the MIMIC Simulator Suite does not have a price. All they provide is a link that says Price, but it takes you to a formmail page. When someone won't tell you right up front what the cost is, that tells me is that it is very spendy.

The CCNA Plus is pretty spendy too, at $499. It has an impressive set of features, but it's still spendy.

15. Firemouse

Firemouse Bit Poster

to freeloader;
    If your just going for CCNA... use packet tracer. It has the nicest interface and is made by cisco. It has all the commands you need for just your CCNA, anything above that it is lacking. Pretty sure its free for Cisco acadamey students, and if you cant get it through a teacher just go find a torrent for it, cisco wants you to use it anyways.

Certifications: CCNA, MCP
    WIP: CCNP
  16. ffreeloader

Firemouse,

Well, I was just in this thread because BM brought up the Boson Simulator and I had used it before. I earned my CCNA 3+ years ago and that when I used the Boson simulator. My CCNA has already expired, but I don't think I'll renew it, at least not now anyway.

I was just looking at a simulator for future purposes to be able to work with the technology. I don't really care if I get another cert or not. All I care about are the skills and the knowledge.