Sims in Microsoft exams

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Sparky, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I was talking to one of my workmates on Friday and he claimed that when you are working on a sim in a MS exam you are deducted points if you click in the wrong place.

Is this cr@p? :blink

The reason I ask as when I was doing the 70-291 I tried to use the run line and it wouldn’t work. I had to browse through start>all programs>administrative tools to get to whatever it was I needed to use.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I don't think anyone really knows.
    Do you get penaised for taking the wrong action - or do you lose points for clicking the 'reset' button?

Although the sim is quite good, there are quite a few things that don't work - shortcut keys and context menus etc.

You need to do things the 'MS Textbook' way.

It can be quite helpful if you click on something and it doesn't work. It means it's wrong...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I haven't seen a definitive list (or a list come to think of it!) anywhere of how they mark sims or *choose all that apply* style questions.

I think MS want to keep us guessing!

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

When I took the 70-290 exam, I went in not only to pass, but also to specifically look at the structure of the simulations - what could be clicked, what couldn't be clicked, whether you could arrive at the same result by several different routes (for example, accessing a control panel icon through control panel, through the directory structure, and by command line), and whether you had the ability answer a question multiple ways (for example, setting permissions by GUI and by command line utility). I must have clicked *every* possible place I could click (and even caused the simulation to crash out a few times!), and it didn't seem to affect my score one bit. So although I don't know for certain (since I don't work for Microsoft Learning), I would think that clicking around has no effect on your score as long as you have the correct answer by the time you end your simulation.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

That's good to know, bro!

However, leave it to you to *try* and break it! I'm telling mitzs :p

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  7. BosonMichael

I had to! It was all part of the job. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Sure it was :twisted:

9. BosonMichael

Promise it was. Boss told me to take the exam and find out everything about how the new simulations worked. So, I did. :p

Might I say... they don't work that great. :oops: