SIDS/NTUser.dat....

Discussion in 'Software' started by steveh2001, Apr 10, 2007.

1. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Hey guys

Wondering if someone had a guide or a link to a guide on SIDS and the NTUser.dat file...

I understand the NTUser.dat is simply the HKCU part of the registry, set for each user and held in c:\docs and settings\username.

Just I have come across several issues recently and would like to learn more about troubleshooting these - for example.

User left the business at work - and someone took over their role. They wanted their entire user profile as we dont allow people to use other peoples credentials. So i figured I would just rename the profile folder to the other user name, they log on and their profile would be set...

However they logged on after renaming this - and it created a blank profile with the username.domain name. I then logged the user off and renamed the profile with the content to username.domain name - logged them back on and it created another blank profile!

I understand the ntuser.dat holds the SID of the user, and as the username was different, it couldnt use the old NTUser.dat..

Hope some could correct me/point me to a guide!

Many thanks

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  2. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Did you not use the rename option in in the Local users and groups window, if you did you wouldn't have had to create a new account, which it sounds like you have done.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  3. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

It was a domain based account so dont think I would have been able to do that

4. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

My mistake :eek: .

5. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

No worries! Unfortunatly policy says we cant just rename the account on the server which would be a lot easier!

6. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Don't we just love policies.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Renaming the AD account would have been the quickest way but if 'policy' doesnt let you do that you can copy the account before deleting it. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

But how does that let you use the user profile stored on the local machine? would the SID be copied?

9. Sparky

The SID wouldnt if you copied the account but group membership etc would be.

If you are limited to access the AD perhaps export the profile and then import it when you have logged on with the new user account.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Ahh yea the group membership wouldnt be an issue as you suggested its OK to copy the accounts. How do you export the profile? File and settings transfer wiz?

Thanks for the help!

11. Sparky

Yeah, that should do it. 8)

12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You could just copy the contents of the profile folder to the new profile folder.

13. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Yep that was what I ended up doing - thing is though i think its the NTUser.dat which holds drive/network printer mappings, and this person had a lot! So it wasnt ideal, but normally that's what i'd do.

Just looking for some more info really - there was another case where a machine slowed right down, and had errors in the event log where by apparently group policy could not identify a SID and I was just curious as to why this could happen