Shutdown tab missing in task manager

Discussion in 'Software' started by HTF, Oct 5, 2009.

1. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hi

I've set group policy to "Remove and prevent access to the shut down command' now I've set this policy back to default and the shutdown button is back in the start menu but Shutdown tab is still missing in task manager, before I set this policy it was there now it's disappear, any ideas?

Regards

Certifications: A+
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

First of all run gpupdate /force then restart your PC. Then check to see if the tab is missing or not. If it is missing run gpresult on the machine it is missing from, this will show you what GPO's are currently being applied to the computer/user.

Check the GPO's which are being applied.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hi

Thx for reply unfortunately it didn't help. I've chceked and there is no also shutdown tab on my XP at home machine so I don't know what settings are responsible for that.
    BTW: how to save default GPO in case if something goes wrong and I would like to set back to default, is it as a template?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
    Certifications: A+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228460

Rename the grouppolicy folder to grouppolicy.old and reboot.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ok well the thing to remember is that when you apply a GPO, what you are actually doing is making a change to the registry. Now, if the default policy doesn't actually reverse the change then nothing will happen.

I haven't got the time to look for myself but i wonder whether you have chosen the correct option. For example, it might say show shutdown in start menu, *true*, *false* and default or *enable*, *disable* and default. Rather then set to default you may need to select enable/true. That's an example.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)