Should I write both exams at the same time?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Neil, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Hey Everybody,

I'm NEW here and I plan on writing A+ before Nov. I'm studying real hard, but I want to know if it is wise to write both exams on the same day or should I write them separately? And how many questions are there in each exam?

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  2. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings neil.
    The choice is totally your's.Some people do both on the some day,others choose to leave a bit of a gap in between.
    I took the hardware exam on a wednesday,and the O/S exam 2 days later.
    As for the amount of questions,you get 80 multiple choice questions and a time limit of 90 mins.
    Passing score's are Hardware:515 out of 900.O/S 505 out of 900.
    Best of luck with how ever you choose.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Neil, my preference was to do them separately, as they were my first ever IT cert exams. Passed both, but wouldn't have fancied my chances on the one day. I guess it depends entirely on the individual. Note also, we had a discussion about this yesterday - there used to be a 90 day restriction where you had to sit both exams within that time for them to be valid. This restriction now does not apply.

Can I also take this oppor-chance-ity to invite you up to our New Members board to give us a quick intro you you, if you feel like it ?

Cheers :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Hey everyone,

So Jakamoko, did they REALLY REMOVE the 90 day restriction? WOW! Now thats a real breakthrough! :biggrin Well jus to be sure, I'll check with the Prometric center here.

I'll check out the New Members board sometime soon. Too tired rite now! :blink Thanks! Cheers!

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

they did it def two years ago... it was part of the 2003 new obj!! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Yup - I pulled that info straight from the CompTIA site in response to another Member's question recently. Glad it suits you :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

On taking both exams on the same day.....

Whether this is a good idea or not depends a lot on the individual. If you are a good test taker--taking a test doesn't leave you stressed out and if you are very comfortable with the material and Comptia's tests, then this probably isn't a bad idea. However, it does mean that a person would probably have to study both objectives simultaneously, or have an extremely good memory.

I know people capable of taking both exams at once, but I don't know if it's a good idea for everyone.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Neil,
    Just to put my 2p in :D I agree with what has been said already.
    Unless you have a photographic memory I would only take any exam one at a time.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Just to add my feedback, taking the hardware and software
    exams separately is best for me. :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well im going to spice things up here too!!! A+ is due an upgrade in Nov... more questions on wireless and windows 2003 and XP! :twisted:

So looks like we (myself included) have two options:

a) One exam end of Sept and the other end of Nov just before the roll over....

b) Both exams just before the roll over...

i did an in-house A+ and im going with the first option... i know the stuff already just want to make sure i pass good... take it easy if you a complete newbie cause you will flip and maybe not pass either because of trying to balance your time between the two!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  11. billy bottom

billy bottom Bit Poster

A+ due an upgrade in november? oh no, i've only just bought and started the book. how much will change? will i be able to just "top-up" my knowledge when they upgrade, or will i have to buy another book and start all over again?

any ideas?

thanks guys

billy

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Zimbo, can you post the link where you found this information. It's news to me. Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. crafoo

crafoo New Member

I decided to take both on the same day because I fancied passing them both, and I did. But it might have been a different story had I failed the first exam, could have lead to me being dissapointed and not having any real time to reflect and compose myself for the second exam, as said before though I suppose it depends on what you are like at test taking.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST 70-271 70-272
  14. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi All

I perfer the two exams on the one day route as there is a fair amount of knowledge overlap. Saying that I did do both A+ exams and a MCP (70-210) on the one day but would not recommend it! :rolleyes:

15. PAT

PAT Banned

I did both on the same day and passed. it was the 2002 exams so they were not as hard.