Should I wait until I get A+? or start looking now?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by gentquality, Aug 13, 2012.

1. gentquality

gentquality Bit Poster

Little background on me, I currently work with a bulge bracket bank in the US as a Financial Advisor. I'm looking to break into the IT industry, from my research 1st line support role is the way to go.

I do have extensive customer service experience as I manage a book of business and my clients are dedicated to me. I have never had a single complaint and know how to solve problems..I also deal with client's retirement and pension funds, a very sensitive matter so client interaction, I have no problems with. I'm sure this is a skill that can be transferred into first line support/desktop support roles.

Where I lack is the technical side...hence I'm going for the A+. What I do have is ...I did volunteer work 2 summers at my friends PC store. I've helped him repair and build computers, as I have always loved computers. Also in 2009, I've left the financial industry and worked for Samsung Electronics and had opportunity to maintain servers, set up firewalls, and helped manage database... I know how to do basic things.

The question comes in, should I wait until I get my A+ to start applying? Or are my current credentials enough to land a 1st line support/desktop support jobs? What do you guys think?

The only thing that's holding me back is the income side of switching careers. I earn a pretty decent income, and I believe helpdesk role in NYC pays around 50-60k USD.

But once I sell my book of business I should have enough to support myself comfortably.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  2. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Start applying now, there's no real reason for you to wait to complete the A+. You have some computer knowledge and experience already and combined with your customer service experience it should be sufficient. Most employers will probably favour customer service experience than technical experience for helpdesk roles. That's not to say, knowing nothing about computers is fine though but they go hand in hand :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  3. gentquality

gentquality Bit Poster

Thank you for your reply. I'm in the process of remaking my resume and will post on here once it's done for critique.