Should I study vista or move to 7?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by beaumontdvd, Jan 20, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi all, I am doing my mcdst and studying hard on and off about to take my 272 exam. I would like to get my MCSE as I study hard and seem to pick stuff up really quite quick.
    I have been working as an IT technician for and year and a half.
    My question is to be honest im quite worried incase companies start rolling our windows 7 and miss out Vista. Because I havent even got to grips with Vista yet to be honest. (Like networking around the house and changing settings ect) Also I only have xp qualifications.

What do you all reccommend I do? Should I start some Vista exams and get the hang of vista or shall I move straight on to 7 and install that as a virtual OS.

Regards,
    Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'd give Vista a miss.

Microsoft have...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd concentrate on what you're working with in work. That's where the benefit of working with the OS while studying it will pay dividends; however, if you're also looking to the future, then I'd go with Windows 7. Vista hasn't taken off, due to well documented issues (pity as I liked it). Windows 7 is soooo much better than Vista that any business will glide smoothly past Vista and onto 7 at some point. Indeed, I installed a few Windows 7 PCs for a client a few weeks back.

4. beaumontdvd

Thanks both of you for the replies, is 7 much differnt to Vista?
    I guess if I jump straight to 7 I could maybe do vista after 7 as I guess its the inbetween of them both?

Does that sound good?
    Regards,

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Think of Windows 7 as Vista without the bugs, a few feature fixes and a lot of performance improvements.

I'd get the MCDST on XP and then get an MCTS on Win 7.

Very few companies have Vista installations, those that do will likely move to Win 7 fairly quickly.

Those that want to migrate from XP will most likely skip straight to Win 7.

After that If you're aching to take more MS certs have a good look around their MCTS / MCITP offerings, I'm sure there are other exams you could take.

As far as I'm aware the MCSA is still going, so if you think you can knock that out in a year maybe consider that then upgrade to the newer tracks.

As you take more exams your MCP member site cert planner will become more useful, for example you might go for :-

MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7
    MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7

If you have other skills like Exchange, Sharepoint or SQL you might also consider other non OS related certs.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  6. beaumontdvd

Thanks mate!
    I will do what you advised. I'm going for the mcse at the moment, do you think mcsa is more benfitial if I was going to go onto windows 7?

Regards,

Dave

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

MCSA and MCSE are both the older tracks based on Windows Server 2003.

MCITP are the new tracks on Server 2008.

Much of the world are still running their services on Server 2003 and the employment market still has more knowledge of the old certs, though this is changing slowly.

MCSA requires 4 exams and MCSE requires 7 (though this can vary a little depending on electives.)

MCSA can be achieved on the way to MCSE.

MCSE is a very advanced cert for you to be attempting in your early 20's, of course I do not know your exact experience level but look into the details on the MS site. Its for people who design complete domain infrastructure for clients based on microsoft server technology.

Even MCSA is really for people spending a significant amount of time with windows server, you will probably be able to pass the client exam 70-270, you will have the MCDST as elective, with some labs and study you should be able to pass 70-290. While you are doing this you want to try to push for more server experience at work.

I think MCSA is maybe even above your current level and will require a lot of study, you will probably find 70-291 will push your current experience and understanding, most people do.

Once you have your MCSA you will be in a far better position to decide if MCSE is for you or not. Its likely that you will need to get into a more advanced role doing more server work before it makes any sense at all to pursue it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  8. beaumontdvd

Thanks for the help, I think I will just go to the MCSA and then start on the windows 7 exams. I am currently unemplyed at the moment as I was made redundant from my it job so I'm cramming in as much learning as I can. Thanks for all your help it makes it much easier to understand what exams will benifit me.

Regards,
    Dave

9. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm in a similar position to you - experience on XP and 2003 and working towards my MCSA, hopefully by this summer/autumn. With appropriate work experience I'm aiming for my MCSE - say 18 months time.

What is going to be mainstream 18 months time? Vista or 7? My money is probably on 7 but as I want to move on from desktop support, I'll make that decision when I need to - and that really isn't yet.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There will always be a need for techs who can support Vista... but Windows 7 will likely outsell Vista before either of them are used more predominantly than XP.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. CraigH

CraigH New Member

Windows 7 is without doubt, as someone above said "Vista without the bugs" - it's what MS should have released first time round.

The fact is that most companies and corporates are still on XP and will be for a while longer. No-one really trusts Vista (and quite rightly) - Most will probably migrate straight to 7. Although typically, it will be service pack 2 before and corporates will touch it - just to make sure any problems are ironed out.

Good luck, either way!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA
  12. JBGJONB3

JBGJONB3 New Member

To be honest 70-680 (Configuring Windows 7) exam is accepted as an exam for MCITP etc. I would seriously go for Windows 7. No point in doing old certifications.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE, MCITP, CCNP, MCTS, VCI